Advanced Search

Magnetic base and steel in Lid of Case

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS Magnetic base and steel in Lid of Case

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Colby B
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 5

First post here, so take it easy on me!

I just received a new to me field and sport model with an upgraded cam lock vise and upgraded cross bar. It came mounted on a piece of countertop that is too large and not ideal for storage.

I’m seriously considering buying a HF Apache case to store it.

has anyone epoxied a piece of steel on the underside of the lid and mounted the sharpener to a large magnet? This would allow the case to double as a base.

what are everyone’s thoughts on this?

Attachments:
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the forum Colby B:

I shy away from magnets with steel dust. I prefer using my setups down flat, (relatively) level and stable on a tabletop, not elevated.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Colby B
    Participant

What seems to be the go to? A ram Suction cup?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

That great older portable style WE130 F & S model is unique with it’s very small-width cube-like, base mount.  The small foot print mount needs to be secure when using it. When sharpening, with your rod end brackets spread out and away from the vise on the square bar, lateral movement can be an issue. I suggest that you use it awhile as it is till you gain enough users experience to figure out how you’d prefer it to be mounted oriented.

Forum member “airscapes” has designed bases and storage boxes accessories for some W.E. models. Hopefully, he may weigh in on this thread. Here’s a link to a FB post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2039273959688449/permalink/3383864375229394/?mibextid=Nif5oz

I’d consider using a W.E. Aluminum base, to drill and mount it.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Colby B
    Participant

Thank you. For now I’m going to pick up a clamp just so I can keep it all together and store it and keep the marble base for my shop use.

Colby B
    Participant

I finished up my case this weekend, then stumbled across this 200 lb cam suction cup intended for strapping things to a car.

good idea or not it was too tempting.

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Colby B
    Participant

Finished product

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.