Advanced Search

Looking for a new Kershaw

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Kershaw / Zero Tolerance Looking for a new Kershaw

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

My Kershaw Blur has gone missing 🙁 .

In one respect that is a pity, since I really liked its assisted opening mechanism. It is just as strong as the mechanism on, e.g. assisted Benchmades, but the advantage is that it closes much easier. (There is no “counterpressure” when you close it.) Unlike the Benchmade assisted openers it is easy to close it single-handedly.

So I was looking for an assisted opener that has the same/a similar mechanism as the Kershaw Blur. Also, it shouldn’t be too large (I wear it almost daily). And preferably not have a recurve. That’s one of the things I didn’t like about the Blur.

I was thinking of a Kershaw Leek. Are there any other knives I should consider?

[ Edit: it doesn’t necessarily have to be a Kershaw, but a knife with a similar assisted opening mechanism. ]

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Like I said in Fred’s thread

It’s hard to beat a Leek!!! :cheer:

Bit different in size though. (My avatar pic. is a Leek on top, Blur on the bottom).

As was mentioned in the other thread, might help to narrow down what you’re looking for in steel, price, etc. Lots of Kershaws have assisted opening now.

The ZT line also comes to mind… rave reviews on the 560 series.

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks! The Kershaw 1555Ti looks great, too. Unfortunately my thumb always gets in the way of a flipper when I close it single-handedly.

The ZT560 is one of the best looking EDC’s I know, but it’s a bit large for this purpose.

cbwx34
    Participant

SpeedForm II?

Attachments:
    Mark76
    Participant

Looking good… And I love Elmax. Only no assisted opening?

cbwx34
    Participant

But it says, “Speed”… :silly:

You’re right, my bad. No Speedsafe. :pinch:

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Mark,
    Not fancy, but I have had mine for quite awhile and like it:
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/629380-SOG-Flash-II-Two-Years-Later

The AUS 8 is nothing fancy, but is more than Ok ..

Attachments:
    John Batinovich
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 27

I just purchased the Kershaw Piston and I’m very happy with it. It’s larger, with a blade length of about 3.6″, but it’s flat and carries very well. Very sturdy and well-made knife with a useful blade. You might also check out the Knockout which is similar to the Piston, but with a blade length more in line with the Blur. It’s also very flat and carries well. Both are assisted openers. You could also just get another Blur. If you do that, I’d highly recommend the carbon fiber/CPM154 blade steel version. Model number on that one is 1670CF154. Very cool and with a different twist than your regular Blurs.

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

The carbon fiber and CPM154 Blur is high on my list as well, but I just ordered a new Hogue so that will have to wait 🙂

The only Kershaw I still have sitting around right now is an old ET which is still a really cool knife. If only I could open the thing one handed I’d still be using it as an EDC clipped to my belt loop. I should definitely expand my little knife collection this year.

Mark76
    Participant

Not fancy […] SOG-Flash-II

LOL! Pun probably not intended, but this immediately made me think of Nut’n’Fancy. (It’s his favorite knife.)

😆 😆

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Yes..
    IIRC, that is one of the reviews I read a long time back, before I bought mine.
    Did not think of that when I wrote the recommendation though…:ohmy:

Mark76
    Participant

Hey guys,

It’s been a while since we discussed this. In the meantime I found my Blur back. (A month later, somewhere hidden in a cupboard… Is there an English expression for this?)

Nevertheless, I don’t like the blade shape of the Blur anymore. It’s got a recurve and is far too wide for my purposes.

I’m still looking for a replacement. I think the Kershaw Leek comes closest to what I am looking for. The only things I don’t like about it is that is has hardly any belly and that there are no versions with a grippy handle (like G10).

The SOG Flash II is great too, but I think I like the assisted opening of the Kershaws slightly better. I could go through the entire BladeHQ catalogue to find something better, but maybe you guys have suggestions.

Here’s my wish list.

• Simple no frills knife, blade doesn’t have to be made of an advanced steel
    • Relatively thin and small (3-3.5“)
    • Very easy single-handed opening and closing. This is why I prefer an assisted opener (easy opening) and also why I prefer Kershaw assisted openers over Benchmade ones (which are not easy to close single-handedly)
    • Blade shape: not too wide, no recurve, slight belly

Currently my Benchmade 940 functions as my EDC. It is near-perfect for my purposes. It opens very smoothly, but I’d still like it to be an assisted opener. And the blade is not too wide, I’d only wish it were more “pointy”. (Don’t know how to express this, but the blade shape of a Spyderco PM 2 is perfect.)

I the meantime I also tried two Spydercos. The Tenacious was ok, but its blade is a little too wide for me. The Paramilitary 2 was near-perfect. Only it has got its (“compression”) lock on the back. Maybe it’s just me, but this makes single-handed closing much more difficult.

Any suggestions for a Benchmade 940 with assisted opening and a PM 2 blade shape? Or should I just go for the Leek? Or does Kershaw have more assisted openers that fit my wishes?

Thanx!

cbwx34
    Participant

I’ve got a Kershaw Random Task II coming next week… you might look at that, although not as “pointy”… it’s gotten some good reviews on other forums, so thought I’d give it a spin.

I just ran across they’re now making the Zing assisted opening… although they switched to their 8Cr13MoV steel in it. I’ve got a non A/O one (in their 14C28N)… though it’s so smooth you’d never know it wasn’t A/O.

Still hard to beat a Leek… if you’re attracted to it… go for it. You can snag one so cheap occasionally, it’s hard not to have one or two in your collection.

Edit: Also check your PMs.

Bill Wood
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 30

Hi Mark

I am new to the knife game so take what I say as a new comer. About 5 months ago, thru my shop I picked up a Kershaw that was well used ( lot of scratches on the blade and really needs a sharpening, waiting on my PP1 hopefully this coming week ). From what I can tell the knife is a Kershaw Ken Onion USA 1550ST. These are the only markings on the knife execpt for pat.#’s

This knife is an assisted blade that is diffently a one hander. Even though it is an assisted knife it seems to almost close itself. About one third of the knife from the heel is serrated and comes to a nice point and in my opinion it has a slim blade that is 3 1/4 in long. since I have not been able to sharpen the blade I can not testify as to how the edge holds up. I use this knife as my EDC and use it for every thing and for it’s current blade condition it still does a great job. Just cant wait to see what it is like when it is sharpened.

I hope this helps you out some, just my two cents worth.

Bill

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks for your suggestions.

I seem to come to the conclusion that I “need” a Kershaw 😉 . The Blackout has a blade shape that’s similar to the Benchmade 940. I really like the fact that it has a G10 handle.

Another thing I like about the Kershaws is their blade steel. I know I wrote before that this didn’t matter much. But I was slightly wrong about this. I love sharpening and 13C26 is about the finest grain stainless steel I know. It can take a wicked edge and it’s about the closest stainless steel I know to carbon.

Anyone have any experience with 14C28, which Kershaw also use?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.