Advanced Search

Life after PP1

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Jamey Howard
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 63

Cool, if the ceramics are thinner then that means the angle gets wider so they still contact the edge, doesn’t it? Should be fine then.

Lukas Pop
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 109

Yes, you are right. Try them, I think it will be fine 😉

Jamey Howard
    Participant

Yep, should be fine for sharpness purposes. Obviously when it comes to polishing the bevel you don’t just want the stone to contact the edge, you want it to contact the whole face of the bevel, but hopefully 0.4 degrees won’t be too big a problem.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Replies: 944

The ceramics just arrived! Can’t compare as I’m not at home but are they exactly the same thickness as the diamonds? I don’t need to change the angle when I transition from 1k diamonds to 1200 ceramics do I? Because I don’t have the ball-joint arms so I can’t micro-adjust angles.

Not sure that they are “exactly” the same thickness. There are always manufacturing tolerances at play and I never measured them. I can tell you that I don’t typically change the angle that I am using when going from the diamond plates to the ceramic stones. I usually check the angle with the cube when I change types of stones. I guess the difference was not enough that I was concerned. Use your cube on the ones that you got and see what kind of difference you see. If it is more than you like, adjust the angle. I used the original arms for quite a while and was able to set exact angles (within the measuring errors that are caused by the accuracy potential of the cube) between the several different types of stones that I use. Precise adjustments are definitely possible with your setup.

I thought of something… long ago I reversed the base bar on my setup. I do not use the dimples machined into the bar for set angles. This allows for the kind of adjustment that I was talking about above. If you are using the presets, I still think that you will be OK.

The other option is, just go for it and see what your results are. I think that you will be fine, but you can always go back and set the sharpening angle to exactly match the diamonds if you are not happy with your results.

Jamey Howard
    Participant

Yep, cool.

I do use the preset dimples on the bars at the moment, if I’m not happy with keeping the angle the same then I will try your suggestion. Although I have had problems in the past with the thumb screws that hold the arms in place coming loose and allowing the arms to move during sharpening. It’s probably because I’m so strong, I expect 😉

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

I also filed the tips of the set screws flat and put purple locktite on the threads.. and use a small set of pliers to snug the screws down once everything is set. This all makes using the flat side of the bar easier… I really hate it when I am flailing away with the paddles and my angle randomly changes…

:ohmy:

BTW, doing things as I do them now, I don’t have that problem anymore.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I really hate it when I am flailing away with the paddles and my angle randomly changes

This has happened to me one to many times! :S I now keep a allen head wrench on the bench as part of my tool setup. It is now SOP to tighten everything down anytime a change has been made? It takes a minute longer but saves a bunch of grief in the end! B)
    Also I changed my bar around and like much better! I can set mine very precise and do it very quickly. 😛
    I put my angle cube on the paddle and just move the whole ball joint ever so slightly till I get the reading I’m looking for? I did this with the original bar and the upgraded one and it works great. :woohoo:

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

I need to call Kyle and get some of the newer set screws with the hex socket. Mine do not have that feature.. which is why I use the pliers on the knurling… same result, different tool.
    🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.