Advanced Search

Learning curve

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Learning curve

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    J Ackerman
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 8

New to the forum, and knife sharpening, for that matter. I have learned a lot watching videos and reading about the WE Systems.

Based on all the research, i have done so far, I think I have decided to go with th 130. Unfortunately, I got rid of an old knife set that would have been good to practice on. I have a Wüsthof I have done a pretty good job of scratching up with a whetstone.

My question is, is there a risk (significant damage) to using it for getting acclimated to the system?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Forum J Ackerman.  The WE 130 is, IMO, the best all around model you can get.  You will not hurt your Wusthof knife or do any damage to it.  The edge you apply as a new user with new un-broken-in stones may not be as good as the edge you’ll apply later after gaining experience and breaking in your stones.   Some new users are underwhelmed by their beginning results.  For others the edge you achieve may be better and sharper than you ever expected.  Your sharpened knives will only get better and better with time and experience.

Offer to sharpen knives for friends, family and neighbors.  There is no substitute for the experience you can gain by sharpening a wide variety of different shape and style knives.  Enjoy your new hobby.  We’re here to help.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Not really. If you’ve already scratched it up on whetstones, you are unlikely to cause any damage to the knife that would be worse. The main reason you often see it recommended to start with a cheap knife is to prevent making small mistakes ( failure to clamp in the sweet spot being the big one)  on a knife with significant monetary or sentimental value.

If you have already damaged the knife cosmetically, then there’s nothing to risk in my opinion.

Dive in and give it a go! Let us know if you have more questions.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    J Ackerman
    Participant

Good deal, thanks for the info!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    J Ackerman
    Participant

Sounds good… I’m sure I’ll have more 🙂 I’m planning on ordering this week. Thank you

J Ackerman
    Participant

Looking at the Systems again, I think the F&S pro might be the one I should get, since I am not going to have a designated place for it. Are the systems the same? If I was to ever decide I wanted to mount the F&S pro would that be possible?

Thank you

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

J, the Vice/jaws is the same with the F&S Pro or the WE130.  That is what’s most important.  As you observed and understand the difference is in the mounting base.  I know the parts are modular so a more permanent base style that you would affix to granite or something similar can be a future upgrade.  Just unscrew it and change it out.  That may not even be necessary because you may be able to attach the F&S Pro to a base with screws.  It may already be drilled to do so.  You may want to ask that question when you place your order.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Looking at the Systems again, I think the F&S pro might be the one I should get, since I am not going to have a designated place for it. Are the systems the same? If I was to ever decide I wanted to mount the F&S pro would that be possible? Thank you

Welcome to our forum!  I have a 2017 F&S Pro and take it on the road with me when I need to.  I never have a problem to clamp it somewhere.  Even so, I went to the machine shop in town and purchased a 1 inch thick 8×11″ slab of aluminum.  I’m now in the process of sanding it down and rounding the corners.  Then, after I paint it black, I’ll drill a hole in it to mount my F&S Pro.  I think this will be the best of both worlds!

Here’s a couple of photos I posted not long ago where I took it with me while I was away from home.  I really like this super portable sharpener!

F&S Pro sharpening photos.

Once I have it mounted on the aluminum, I’ll post another photo or two.

Alan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.