Advanced Search

Lapping film in progression

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Lapping film in progression

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andy Steffen
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 13

I am trying to understand exactly where to use the diamond lapping film in the progression, and specifically which one to order. I plan on ordering the 3 micron diamond plates which have the glass platens on the back, so for now I only need one grit recommendation.

I received an email from customer service stating that they recommend the lapping films after stropping, in which case I think I would need the .1 micron film to follow my .5 micron ‘roo strops, correct?

I don’t want to doubt the company that makes these systems but I notice some of you are using the lapping films before stropping which is why I am confused. That, and it makes more sense in my head given that the leather causes a very slight bevel which seems like it would negate the usefulness of following leather with something as stiff as the film on glass. So if that’s the case, what grit of film would I order to go between my microfine ceramics and the 10 or 3.5 micron strops?

Or is it a case where I should choose between strops and films and not use both at all?

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

I’d call and talk to the guys again. My understanding from forum posts is that the strips take you down to the strop zone with sprays etc but I was not aware of a .1 micron film so that does confuse things. I know there is some overlap and ALOT of options. Its all very hard to see whats going on down there without a scope IMHO.

Currently Im getting very good results coming off the micro ceramics to a quick hit with 3000 grit wet/dry strips, then 5u/3/5u on leather, and finish wtih 1u/.5u spray on kangaroo. Again hard to see without a scope but the mirror finish is popping! I do a microbevel to finish but like the mirror edge. 🙂

Agree with you questioning the lapping film(flat), following a strop(beveling)…seems counter intuitive to me as you wouldnt hit the apex? Scope coming soon to explore this micro world of questions…lol

Aloha,
    Cliff

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

You’re gonna have to find out what works for you. It depends on the grading of the film and compound you put on the strops. There is a grit chart here that you can follow. But really, getting that shaving sharp edge is up to you. No one can tell you how much pressure to put on the blade and it will vary . I use both

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

I also suggest you use the Vista guide arms when you start playing with lapping film. And/Or a good magnification to make sure your angles are the same. A very minor difference in angle will frustrate you with lapping films. They are not forgiving with angle like strops are. Just a heads up.

https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forum/10-advanced-techniques-and-sharpening-strategies/13050-using-the-variable-thickness-stone-adapters

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

There must have been a typo… you are supposed to use the lapping film BEFORE the strops, although you don’t have to IF you have a nice microscope with which you can view your edge. The issue w/ going from strops to the lapping film is that the strops will round the edge and then you may not be actually hitting the apex when you switch back to the strops.

You can definitely use them both in combination, there are no issues there. Sorry i can’t answer your question about which ones to get, I only have limited experience w/ the films.

Andy Steffen
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 13

Thanks for all the replies. At least I know my instinct wasn’t completely unfounded. But Kyle was very clear about his replies and I even emailed back to be sure. I’ll post our conversation just so that everyone has the same information. Hopefully he doesn’t mind me quoting him.

ME:
    Hello,

I am getting ready to place an order for some accessories but want to be sure I’m getting the right ones for my purposes.

Specifically I want a set of the new 3 micron diamond plates. I’ve been absent from the hobby for about a year so hopefully I didn’t just miss the answer I’m looking for, but what are you guys using on the glass side of these stones? Everything I’ve read on the forum makes sense as far as using the 3 micron stones between the 1000 grit diamonds and the ceramics – I have the 1200/1600 ceramics – but I’ve never used a lapping film before so I can only guess at how it compares or fits into the mix. I also think I want to get the micro fine ceramics as well so I don’t know how coarse of a film to order. Can you recommend one to go in between the .6 micron ceramic and the 5 micron leather strop?

Kyle:
    Hi Andy,
    We recommend using the Diamond Lapping Film after your strops. If you have the 5/3.5 micron strops than the DLF you should go with is the 1.5 and 1 micron.

Me:
    Thanks for the reply. That surprised me to hear that you recommend the films after the strops since the very few mentions I have found about films on the forum show people using them before the strops. So thanks for clarifying that. Is there an issue, then, with the slight bevel that the leather causes on the edge that might keep the glass/film from hitting the edge evenly?
    I currently use the 1/.5 micron kangaroo strops so would I want to order the .1 micron film to use on the backs of the 3 micron diamond paddles?

Kyle:
    The rounding of the edge caused by the leather is so minor it will not make a problem when using the diamond lapping film. To be extra sure of this you can stop using very light pressure.

The 0.1 micron Diamond Lapping Film is exactly what I recommend, given your current set up.

So now I’m more confused than ever. As it stands though, I think I will follow Kyle’s advice and order the .1 micron film to follow the strops. But I might order some coarser film as well in case I don’t have luck with that progression so that I can follow the above advice and use the films before the strops.

I also suggest you use the Vista guide arms when you start playing with lapping film. And/Or a good magnification to make sure your angles are the same. A very minor difference in angle will frustrate you with lapping films. They are not forgiving with angle like strops are. Just a heads up.

https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forum/10-advanced-techniques-and-sharpening-strategies/13050-using-the-variable-thickness-stone-adapters%5B/quote%5D

I do actually use the VSTA adapters and you’re right, they’re a lifesaver. Without them I don’t imagine I’d have any chance with the films. Before I got those I was getting quite frustrated even switching between the diamond plates that the ceramic stones because of the slight angle difference.

The fact that I’m using kangaroo leather instead of cow leather might help prevent the rounding of the edge but we’ll see…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.