Advanced Search

Kershaw Shuffle 3800

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Kershaw Shuffle 3800

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    narcoleptic
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 10

bump!

newb here. the edge on the shuffle looks beautiful. i attempted to sharpen my shuffle tonight after seeing your photos, but wasnt confident on the ruler setting.

was curious what ruler setting you used. apologies if it was already mentioned.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Give it a try at 20/20

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

narcoleptic
    Participant

Thanks for the quick response Mark.

Unfortunately, I was hoping for where along the ruler did the tip of the blade go – A, B, C etc etc. Apologies for the confusion! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Thanks for the quick response Mark.

Unfortunately, I was hoping for where along the ruler did the tip of the blade go – A, B, C etc etc. Apologies for the confusion! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hi and welcome! I think your going to find the lions share of the knives will set around “A-A.5”. Read this

http://208.97.177.221/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91:finding-the-sweet-spot-positioning-your-knife-from-front-to-back&catid=38&Itemid=258

And start at A and you should be good to go. In time you will be able to just eyeball the knife and go. :cheer:

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

In time you will be able to just eyeball the knife and go. :cheer:

I tried putting a knife in my eyeball… Hurt like heck! I must be doing it wrong ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ken

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

In time you will be able to just eyeball the knife and go. :cheer:

I tried putting a knife in my eyeball… Hurt like heck! I must be doing it wrong ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ken[/quote]

Just like shooting you have to keep both eyes open. You probably flinched and closed one eye? :whistle:

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Just like shooting you have to keep both eyes open. You probably flinched and closed one eye? :whistle:

You’re probably right but now that I’m down to one I’m kinda leary about trying it again. I might just stick to measuring ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ken

narcoleptic
    Participant

Thanks for the info folks! I tried lining up the tip of the knife to A but the stones were only hitting the edge of the tip. I moved it as far forward as I could and ended up sharpening at 18 degrees to somewhat match the stock bevel.

Still cant achieve hair whittling sharp, but overall I’m very happy with the results. Phonebook papers beware!

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I would suggest that you use a loupe so you can see that you are getting right to the edge this is the only reason why I suspect that you are not getting exceptionally sharp edges unless you are stropping the edge away ; Clay suggests dropping down 2ร‹ลก when stropping otherwise the give in the strop can curve over the edge and take that edge away – as the blade goes down the strop the top of the bevel compresses the strop whilst the rest of the strop having past the top of the bevel springs back up increasing the angle which then removes the fine edge .

narcoleptic
    Participant

Thanks Leo! I actually do have a loupe and check the edges before I change stones.

The knives are definitely sharp. Very happy with the edges I get with them. Was able to sharpen an extremely dull kitchen knife to curl phone book paper. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m hoping I cant get the hair whittling sharpness because I’m still working on my technique, stones havent been fully broken in (I think I’ve only done 10 knives), and I havent tried playing with the strops yet. ๐Ÿ˜€

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Thanks Leo! I actually do have a loupe and check the edges before I change stones.

The knives are definitely sharp. Very happy with the edges I get with them. Was able to sharpen an extremely dull kitchen knife to curl phone book paper. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m hoping I cant get the hair whittling sharpness because I’m still working on my technique, stones havent been fully broken in (I think I’ve only done 10 knives), and I havent tried playing with the strops yet. ๐Ÿ˜€

Hi Narcoleptic,
    Sounds like you are on the right track. I would think your stones should be very close to broken in now? Mine created beautiful edges right around 10-12 knives. I would really like to suggest to you trying the strops. The leather refinement takes it to a whole new level!! :woohoo: For me it created a whole new problem? I had to buy the others just to see what I was missing? Each seems to have their own place in whatever your goal is? I can honestly say when I go normal WE progression up to 1K dmt stone> 10/14 diamond balsa> 5 diamond “roo” the knife is one of the most popular EDC among my friends and customers.
    I’m betting that if you do use the strops? You will pass the HHT no problem!! :ohmy:
    Good luck and have fun!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.