Advanced Search

Kershaw Shuffle 3800

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Kershaw Shuffle 3800

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

B)

Here is a new little knife I picked up at Wally World for about $14 or so……..has a bottle opener and a flat headed screwdriver tip on the handle end……..a little cheapy, but kinda cool and small enough to be useful as an every day utility cutter. I put ( if I’m remembering right ) an 36 degree inclusive edge on it, so 18 per side, starting with the 100 / 200 diamonds up through the super fine ceramics……..no stropping on this one.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Nice little knife! Not a bad edge either 😉

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Jack Montrose
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 67

Darrell, aprox. how many strokes with the ceramics does it take to get that finish? I see some scratches but, it has a nice reflective edge. B)

Jack

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Good looking EDC bargain price.

Robert Gilvary
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 53

At first glance I thought it had that hook blade that a rescue knife would have for cutting a seat belt, similar to a gut hook on a hunting knife.

Nice edge!!!

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant

Darrell, aprox. how many strokes with the ceramics does it take to get that finish? I see some scratches but, it has a nice reflective edge. B)

Jack

Your correct Jack, I cannot ever get rid of all the scratches with my PP2 setup, but I do still get a nice reflective edge though. I don’t really count my strokes as I just go by feel pretty much……..but I would guess maybe 20 or 25 per side using the Super Fine and then the Micro Fine ceramics. :unsure:

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant

extreme bargain price Leo. :cheer:

Jack Montrose
    Participant

Thanks Darell, I have the same PP2 but, it’s only a week old so the stones are still pretty agressive. I have been spending a little more time with the 800 – 1000 diamons and the ceramics, but my finish is not as good as yours yet. I haven’t gotten to the strops yet; still getting used to the system (done 12 knives so far). They are extreamly sharp (wich is what I care most about) however, I want to get to the pretty stage soon, just for the fun of it. 🙂

Jack

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Thanks Darell, I have the same PP2 but, it’s only a week old so the stones are still pretty agressive. I have been spending a little more time with the 800 – 1000 diamons and the ceramics, but my finish is not as good as yours yet. I haven’t gotten to the strops yet; still getting used to the system (done 12 knives so far). They are extreamly sharp (wich is what I care most about) however, I want to get to the pretty stage soon, just for the fun of it. 🙂

Jack

Jack break that stuff out! :woohoo: Jump in with both feet. You will be amazed at how easy it really is? 😛 If you have questions just ask? :unsure: All the old timers on here are just waiting to help out. B)
    But most of all have fun! :cheer:
    Eamon

Jack Montrose
    Participant

I will, maybe tomorrow :unsure: I have been having alot of fun just getting my knives very very sharp. I have been a little intimidated with stropping though. Just don’t want to ruin them first time out, however I think I’m ready to take the plunge. Thanks for the incuragement, I guess its about that time. 🙂

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

I will, maybe tomorrow :unsure: I have been having alot of fun just getting my knives very very sharp. I have been a little intimidated with stropping though. Just don’t want to ruin them first time out, however I think I’m ready to take the plunge. Thanks for the incuragement, I guess its about that time. 🙂

Okay if I may? Stropping #101 It was explained to me on this forum to do these things.
    (Clays advise) If you are using a 20* angle to sharpen turn it down 2 degrees to 18*. (Curtis says same angle or increase slightly) Start at the heel of your knife and with light to medium pressure, use a edge trailing motion and work up to tip of knife. Repeat say for 20 to 30 alternating strokes?. Clean off blade with a clean cloth and rubbing alcohol. Then repeat this step with the next strop if you want a finer edge?
    The real thing here is you really can’t wreck your knife. The worst thing is you might dull it by rolling the edge, but on the WE it is really hard to do! The really great part of the We is you can switch and match? There is no wrong just experiment?
    If you do roll your edge? Just go back to the last stone you used and setting to sharpen and clean it up. Your on your way again! Have fun!! :woohoo:

Jack Montrose
    Participant

Thanks for the lesson Eamon. My problem is that most of the kitchen knives I’ve been sharpening are at 16 deg. (Shun), I cannot go to 14 deg. without hitting the vise with the strops. I will get out one of my edc’s that I did at 20 deg. and go for it. I’ll let you know how they come out 😉

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Thanks for the lesson Eamon. My problem is that most of the kitchen knives I’ve been sharpening are at 16 deg. (Shun), I cannot go to 14 deg. without hitting the vise with the strops. I will get out one of my edc’s that I did at 20 deg. and go for it. I’ll let you know how they come out 😉

Sorry my apology I did not mean to come off like a teacher? I guess the 101 would have done that? I am very sorry! Yes you do have a problem with the Shun’s. I am however very interested on how your edc’s goes?
    Hope you have a blast! Good luck!

Jack Montrose
    Participant

Eamon, no apology necessary, I will take all the help I can get. I read your instructions in the intent you ment them to be; help to a newbe.

Thank you very much. B)

Jack Montrose
    Participant

I broke out the strops today :ohmy:
    This was a knife I had already sharpened so, I hit it with the 800 and 1,000 diamonds, then ceramics prior to stropping.
    I stropped with 5 then 3.5 micron then 1 and .5 micron. The results weren’t spectacular but not bad for the first time;

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.