Advanced Search

Kershaw Blur: S30V or Elmax?

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Kershaw Blur: S30V or Elmax?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I’ve got a Kershaw Blur. Josh has modified it for me to remove the recurve and it is now my EDC, I love it!

I was thinking of getting another Blur (the one I have now is in my pocket all the time, but I’d also like to have one lying in the house). I noticed they are now also made in Elmax. Is there anyone who has experience with Elmax? Most important for me is edge retention. Does Elmax have a better edge retention than S30V? Or are there any even better Blurs?

Thanks!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

I only have one thing to say about the modified Blur.

Bill

Mark76
    Participant

This is my Kershaw Blur Josh modified for me: Link

I’m interested in whether S30V or Elmax has better edge retention.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Rick
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 54

I personaly think Elmax has better edge retention than the S30V. I have two knives that are EDC in Elmax, one Ultratech, that has been getting used for just over a year now, and one Troodon that is my wifes EDC/work knife. Everyone’s daily use may be a little different, but for mine the Elmax has been able to keep an edge better. Though I do keep mine sharpened at 20dps. To be fair I only owned a knife with S30V steel for a month or so, just before getting the first Elmax blade, so have had much more time using the Elmax than the S30V.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I would go for Elmax.  I ran across this yesterday, good writeup on most common knife steels and charts as well.  Link here:  PocketKnifeToday  I have don’t have anything in Elmax, but I am not overly impressed with S30V.  I pretty much don’t buy it any more – mainly because of edge rolling issues, not so much wear resistance.  I have some M390 I really like and keep hearing how Elmax is comparable to M390.

If you are really into steel I love this web site.  Put Elmax in the link here: http://Zknives-Elmax

The same web site will also let you compare steels.  Going by this graph I can’t really complain about S30V.  http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.phpnm=elmax%2C%20s30v%2C%20m390&hrn=1&gm=0

I really like the zKnives web site.  Sometimes it can be slow to respond but usually works.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

Thanks, Geo! Zknives is also my go-to website when I want to know more about steel.

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Great links Geo! I was watching shot show videos recently and didn’t recognize several of the new knife steels being offered.  These links can really help!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.