Advanced Search

Mark’s new Kershaw Blur

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Mark’s new Kershaw Blur

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Mark, hope you’re ok w/ me posting this up… but haven’t been many threads recently and figured ppl may wanna see what’s coming to you!

So Mark loved the blur, just hated the recurve… and they can be a pain to sharpen on the WE. So he asked me if he could drop ship it to me and then I could do the work then ship it to him in the Netherlands… yes sir! I am just surprised they let you have spring assisted blades there bud ;). Ok, so on the first one mark and I did not communicate well and I gave it too much belly lol… round 2 was more to the ideal blade shape. So here are two different types of grinds that can be done w/ the same knife to remove the recurve!I

first blade shape:

second option:

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

The Kershaw Blur used to be my EDC. I loved its sturdiness in combination with it light weight, and the ability to open and close it single-handedly very easily. But I hated the recurve. Not because it was impractical or difficult to sharpen, but because of its aesthetics. This Ken Onion look is simply not for me.

So I decided to ask the best sharpener I know if he could reprofile the knife. And Josh said could. :cheer: . (An added advantage is that knives in the US are much cheaper than in Europe. And this particular model was even sold out where I live.)

I simply asked him to reprofile the knife so the recurve would disappear, while removing the least amount of metal. This resulted in the first knife Josh posted. Oops… such a big belly was not what I intended. We both had a good laugh (Josh was able to sell that knife on a forum), I sent Josh a drawing, and this resulted in the second knife. Which is exactly what I intended.

Note the details. Josh didn’t just reprofile the knife, he also regrounded it, so it would not be too thick at the edge. And that little sharpening choil should be very handy.

The knife is already in Amsterdam, which is half an hour from my house. So it could arrive any day now…

Thanks, Josh!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hahah! Great timing, Josh. The knife has just arrived.

You have already shown some pictures, but just to prove it’s here:

Thanks again, Josh!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Sweet, that actually was pretty quick shipping for first class! I sent something to canada first class and it took about 2 whole weeks!

And thanks for the kind words my friend… hope it serves you well =)

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Josh,

That came out great! I’m with Mark in preferring the second option.

-Clay

jimbo45
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 39

Exceptional work but I kind of like first one with more belly

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.