Advanced Search

Just Ordered Gen 3 Need Advice

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Just Ordered Gen 3 Need Advice

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mjcollier
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 36

I’ve got 4 – 6 weeks left of the quoted lead time  (the wait is killing me). Does  WEPS  meet their lead times usually? I ordered the Gen 3 without the shelves but opted for it mounted on granite. What should be the first things I should do upon receiving my WEPS? What items if any should I purchase before it arrives (eraser, storage container, etc.).

I also bought ceramics and strop sets.

Thank you for any help.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

If you haven’t already, read some of the tips on the instruction page  https://www.wickededgeusa.com/instructions/  In particular, ‘How to Find Your Angle’, and ‘Finding the Sweet Spot’… these seem to be the most needed for new users, (and often overlooked ’cause they can be hard to find).  Also there is a FAQ page with good info  https://www.wickededgeusa.com/category/faqs/

Not sure if W.E. meets their deadline… can’t help there.  I would hold off getting anything else… you’ll definitely get enough to get you well on your way… then decide what else you may need as far as storage, etc… kinda depends on what you’re setup is going to be… for example will you have a permanent station, or have to pack everything away after sharpening.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    dima
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 26

In my case they delivered in a bit over 4 weeks. As for what else to get – it depends on your setup and sharpening needs. IMHO storage is important. Some miscellaneous things like a couple of spray bottles for water and isopropyl alcohol. Masking tape, perhaps. If you also ordered water stones, you might need to get a couple of lapping plates. For my Japanese kitchen knives I needed to get a low angle adapter with an angle cube. Compressed air to clean your station after you’re done

Not to forget sharpie, magnifying glass and qtips 

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

If you’re getting the micro-adjust arms, big for me is an inspection device.  A lot of new users are befuddled because they can’t seem to get their knives are sharp as they expected.  The problem is that they can’t see that they’re not hitting the right angles.  dima suggests a magnifying glass.  I’d suggest a good 10X or better loupe.  When you get more serious, think about a USB microscope, if you have a laptop handy.  Being able to see angular errors of one or two tenths of a degree is a huge advantage when you get into the higher grits.

Mjcollier
    Participant

Thanks for the input. What is a good brand of loupe? I see many loupes on Amazon in the $10 to $20 range.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Get this one. link . Officially a microscope 60x, but works like a loupe and built-in light and it works great. And it costs hardly anything…

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

I like this 60X microscope (Loupe) the best. http://www.lightinthebox.com/smallest-jeweler-s-microscope-60x-2-led-mini-pocket-microscope-magnifier-jeweler-loupe_p1192547.html . I had to buy three different ones to find this one.  I wish I had read this post first.  If you want to take photos of your edges, they also sell this loupe with a clip that can attached to a Iphone or Ipad.  I placed this on a Ipad and WOW!  Better than even the cheapest USB microscope for 1/10 the cost http://www.lightinthebox.com/universal-60x-microscope-lens-set-for-iphone-ipad-samsung-htc-more-cellphone-tablet-pc_p2234216.html?pos=ultimately_buy_7&prm=1.3.5.0.  Do not under estimate this little magnifier.  If you opt for the “Clip” version you will have to manipulate the focus on the Ipad, but once you do, you will see some great images that you can save and better yet share on this forum.  Best of Luck!

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’m with the last two posts – these little loupes are awesome. Certainly not really 60x, but pretty darn good.

-Clay

Mjcollier
    Participant

Do these work well with the phone attachment? Do you get decent pictures?

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

I actually don’t like it on the Iphone but it does work.. It seems to be much better on the Ipad.  I am not really sure why.  I have a Iphone 5S (Still) and a Ipad Air (5th Generation) and that may be why.  I think the pictures are great for the cost of the device.  When I get a opportunity I will take some photos and post them here.  I haven’t used it much since I started playing with my USB microscope.  However, at trade shows or at a sharpening booth it’s perfect.  The USB scope is just easier to use but they both play very different roles while sharpening.  I find because it is so small, I keep losing it LOL.  But for the money, It’s great all around.

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

otaku19
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 10

This is what I store my stones and strops in:   http://www.walmart.com/ip/Flambeau-Tuff-Tainer-Tackle-Box-with-Zerust-5007/16326922

I also have room for a sharpie, loupe, and compounds.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.