Advanced Search

inexpensive computer microscope

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat inexpensive computer microscope

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Ok, I have a 30X eye lope which works ok. I see a lot of people posting pictures of nicely magnified edges which has helped me understand some things.

Like with anything, you can spend 10 bucks or 10,000. So, what is a decent inexpensive usb magnifier? I am always by a computer. My kid would like it..Wife too. But I did just drop a wad of cash on this sharpener so I need to be a bit more frugal on this purchase. It does sound like a good investment though from what I have been reading.

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Barska-AY11336-BARSKA-Digital-Microscope/dp/B002S9J7XC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1411705461&sr=8-13&keywords=hand-held+microscope
    good or junk or what? I am guessing some of you folks have had some setups. What would you suggest?

Thanks for your time!
    Eric.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I don’t know the microscope you refer to. But I think two brands are sort of popular here: VEHO and Dino-Lite. Both brands have 200 – 400x (ish) microscopes that are quite similar and sell for well under $100. I have a VEHO.

I am currently not at home, so I cannot look up the type number, but you should be able to easily find it with Google.

You should be aware that, although these microscopes do (for their price) a remarkable job in magnification, it is pretty difficult to get them to focus well. Also lighting conditions are very important. You’re in for some frustration 😛 .

If you want to see what sort of pictures an amateur can get with them, take a look at my blog posts on stropping.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Eric:

I’m not familiar with the Barska but I would have to recommend against it. The Barska web site states that this ‘scope only has a 300K pixel sensor, which is 640 X 480. I think you’ll want better res.

I have the Celestron 5MP (about $80 on amazon) with which I have been disappointed in depth-of-field, but when I rebooted this weekend, the D/F looked pretty darn good. Some of the pics I’ve seen here and on Mark’s blog are dazzling, so I’ve been looking for something better, too. On my 19″ 1080p monitor, the mag comes out to about 160X; a little more if you go to full-screen mode. Originally, I bought one of the 800X no-names. The usable was only 185X and the software was awful. The Celestron has a separate image capture button and LED adj. pot located on the cable, so you don’t have to disturb the camera to take a pic. There’s also a capture button on the screen, which I find more convenient.

The really nice thing about these handhelds is that you can set the focus to fall on the plane at the face of the clear plastic shroud. This does stick you with whatever magnification you get at that focal plane, but the convenience is huge. Pick the camera up, touch it to the edge and bingo, you’re focused. Rock it from side to side and slide it along the edge to look for damage.

As Mark says, the lighting has a big influence on your results. Try to eliminate outside sources of light which cause glare. Mirror polishes are problematic, but you have to avoid flaring from direct reflections.

I think that using the shroud as the focal point control pretty much solves the focus problem. Where the curve of the blade throws off the focus, you just lift one edge of the shroud slightly to re-establish a clear focus. With your background, I think you’ll manage OK.

Zamfir
    Participant

So you are saying the Celestron 5MP is decent but you are looking for something better? I Like the idea of the shroud edge focal plane trick. I wonder if there is another brand that would allow you to do this same thing but also change the magnification? I am going to go check out some or Mark76’s pics on stropping 🙂

tcmeyer
    Participant

I only have experience with the two ‘scopes I’ve had, but from what I can see on the market, none have both Focus and magnification adjustments, so what you see at the focal plane is what you’ll get. If you’re willing to play with other focal settings, you might get more magnification, but then have to deal with the difficulty in focusing.

I’m relatively satisified with the Celestron, but was looking for something better, if it’s out there. I couldn’t find anything for a decent $$$.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I’ve tried the dino-lite and the veho and imo the dino is way better… Much better made and the focus control is much tighter. You can get great pics with it.

Zamfir
    Participant

Ok. So bear with me here. I know optics and quality of the glass ans such make a big difference in say rilfe scopes and such. I am guessing the same would apply to a microscope. Now if you add in seeing it on computer I am guessing that the MP count would make a big difference also. Wondering where the compromise is at.

So in my price range we have the dino-lite:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dino-Lite-AM2111-0-3MP-Digital-Microscope/dp/B00FBCTQSY/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1411848060&sr=8-15&keywords=usb+microscope

And the other suggested one Celestron 5MP:
    http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Handheld-Digital-Microscope-Pro/dp/B00CMJ1I08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411849749&sr=8-1&keywords=celestron+5mp+usb

Both just under 100 bucks.

RazoredgeKnives, are the dino-lite versions you are talking about way above 100 bucks? So far the celestron seems a little better than the cheapo dio-lite but..Maybe not.
    That is why I am asking 🙂

Thanks for your help guys! I have been reading like crazy on here and learning a ton!
    -Eric

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I had one that cost around 130, it was the am3011 which they have discontinued

tcmeyer
    Participant

Josh:

You say that you “had” one. Are you still using it or have you upgraded? I’m wondering if 640 X 480 is adequate for our purposes.

Later note: I looked at the sample images on the Amazon listing and they look really good. Impressive depth of field. What do they look like when shown at full-screen size? Still good?

Zamfir
    Participant

Holy crap! I looked at a video of their higher end model (dino-lite). That is freggin sweet!

With the software you can take multiple images at different focal points and it will overlap them all making a nice fully focused image with the depth. That is neat stuff. Way outta my price range but that is cool stuff.

Check that out. Extended level of depth. Too bad my wallet does not have an extended level of depth..just debt 🙁

Mark76
    Participant

That indeed looks pretty sweet!

Zamfir
    Participant

AFter much much internal mental masturbation on which one to get I decided on the Clestron 5MP. I think it will do what I am looking for and be a little cheaper. I like the dimmable leds, and the take the picture button on the cord. And the little stand will work good for my Wife to show my son stuff on the computer like grass and hair..

So, soon as I have it I will see what it can do! And..hopefully what I can do with the Wicked Edge!

My offer to sharpen peoples knifes here at work is starting to really take off! All I needed to do was sharpen 2 people for free and let them show it off cutting copy paper all over the place and I am starting to get orders! lol.. Good practice for me. Blowing everyone’s mind here with how well I can sharpen stuff.. And I have only had this for a week er so!

I have some balsa strops on the way..And a 50/80 stone.. Man some of these blades need a ton of help to even get the edge apex! AFter 25 min only on the 100 grit stone on a chef knife last night the cost for the 50/80 was easily justified!

Mark76
    Participant

Congrats! Make sure you spend enough time with the 100 grit stones after the 50/80 grit stones to erase the 80 grit scratches. These stones are really coarse…

And also congrats with the Celestron. Please let us know how you fare with it and do post some pics. I’m curious. Most stories here are about the Dino-Lite or Veho. And these work, but they’re not easy to operate.

Patrick Martin
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 26

I am awaiting the results. I have been looking for one of these for a while. Does anyone have specific model numbers for the dino lite and veho? There are a few different models and I’d like to get one that works well. I’ve looked at the celestron alot because of the price and the stand. They’re a great telescope company as well.

Zamfir
    Participant

I am still figuring it out. But It will work find for what I am looking for. If I step back from my monitor 6 feet it looks great lol..Like was said before you can focus right at the plastic housing and run it along the blade. When you are activly looking at the blade your brain filters it out and it looks real nice..or..I just need to figure out the saving image size better..lol.

This is a blade sharpened to 1000 grit diamonds. push cut paper. beveled at 17 then 19 for the edge. sv30 random leek.

I have some more figuring out on this but I have some plane kits to cut tonight..I ordered some balsa strops..It totally just dawned on me…I have a crap ton of balsa in all different densities for my kit cutting..plenty around for 1000 er so strops..lol. I hope I like the balsa strops.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.