Advanced Search

If you had to pick one angle, one finish level…

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Task Specific Knife Sharpening EDC (Every Day Carry) If you had to pick one angle, one finish level…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

How do you prepare your EDC?

-Clay

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

I guess my EDC average is around 34-36 inclusive and finished to .5 micron on cowhide. But that is for showing off. On knives that are going to see more utility, I like to put a 800 to 1000 micro bevel at about 40 inclusive.

My Sebenza gets the stock edge you show in your video.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I guess my EDC average is around 34-36 inclusive and finished to .5 micron on cowhide. But that is for showing off. On knives that are going to see more utility, I like to put a 800 to 1000 micro bevel at about 40 inclusive.

My Sebenza gets the stock edge you show in your video.[/quote]

What knives do you usually carry beside the Sebenza?

-Clay

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

Previous EDC: 22/side, 1k diamond -> sandpaper progression, 5um and 3.5um on leather for mirror polish. That held up VERY well on 154CM steel and looked all kinds of pretty 🙂 Before I went all out on the polish I used the 1000 diamond -> 5um cow leather -> 3.5um cow leather at the same angle (factory standard for that knife, a Hogue EX01) and got excellent results too.

Current EDC: 25/15 because it’s a CRKT semi-chisel grind. I have it as straight up 1000 diamond (well worn in) right now and it’s very toothy. I finished/touched up the edge with the 5um strop for a while but it seemed to dull/roll a little too quickly for my liking. I may try that again, in case it was just a fluke from my usually hard usage that day.

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

My Sebenza gets the stock edge you show in your video.[/quote]

What knives do you usually carry beside the Sebenza?[/quote]Usually a Benchmade 553 Tanto or an SOG Vulcan. I also have a CRKT Ripple and a Kershaw Leek for more non-knife-friendly environments. I found a kydex neck sheath for the Leek if what I’m wearing isn’t pocket clip compatible. I don’t like my knives loose in a pocket…
    I also carry a Leatherman Wave, which is what gets used for more risky types of cutting. But to be honest, most of my blades are used for very mundane tasks; opening packages, mostly. Hope to get some more bushcrafty types of use under their belts soon!

Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

I went crazy and chopped some saplings (up to about 1.5″ thick) with my Hogue a couple times over the summer, that 22/side angle held up surprisingly well! I often used my 4″ Hogue as a weeds chopper since we have a lot of these big cane stalk looking suckers that get 8-10 feet high if you let them take over… but they’re not super hard, more of a waxy hollow stalk. Great fun to chop up 🙂

Clay, would you happen to have any input on methods for micro-beveling an asymmetrical grind like the CRKT I mentioned? It’s almost like a 70/30, the 25/15 degree settings were slight changes in profile but pretty close to factory. I’m thinking if the polished edge rolls again I’ll micro bevel it, would just adding a couple degrees per side do the trick sufficiently?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

If I had to pick one, I’d go 18 deg. (per side), with either the MicroFine-Fine or the 1600g ceramic finish.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

My EDC recently has been a Spyderco Balance. The steel is “only” VG10 😉 so I keep it at around 26° inclusive. Currently it’s finished on a 12k SS and I’ve been happy with the results, but you’re not chopping down trees with a Balance.

On harder steels like my CPM -M4s I’ll go lower with a polished bevel (20°) but put a 30° micro bevel on them at 2k.

Ken

martin lind
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 78

in these days my edc is my strider sng in s30v steel and i go with 20deg. works fine for me, and outdoor in forest often one big knife like a parang is with me.
    martin

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

I carry a Leek with the bimetal cpm-d2 blade. Currently its at 18/36 finished to. 5 with the pp2 strops. I have yet to get a good mirror finish as my stones are still breaking in and I have a long way to go before I can say I’m proficient with this. But I’m getting there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.