Advanced Search

If I see this Gator anymore…

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic If I see this Gator anymore…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

This situation continues to be a big mess. Something has caused our resource usage to go through the roof. The web team is trying to see if we’ve been subjected to a brute force attack, maybe some kind of DDoS. We’re also looking into a new dedicated server. Sorry for all the disruption guys!

-Clay

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

In spite of the glitches that happen too regularly I enjoy using this site and find it easier to use than some of the other knife sites and like all things it could be better but considering that i imagine compared to other sites that are larger and perhaps get some income through advertising or paid subscriptions from trade users it runs remarkable well . I suppose you could look in the future to take a small charge for subscribed agents but I think that will have to wait a little or until the full blown pro model has gone global.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

This situation continues to be a big mess. Something has caused our resource usage to go through the roof. The web team is trying to see if we’ve been subjected to a brute force attack, maybe some kind of DDoS. We’re also looking into a new dedicated server. Sorry for all the disruption guys!

I don’t know if it’s related, but it seems the “guest” count gets pretty high, especially for a forum as specific as this one…

Most forums I visit seem to be in the hundreds at any time,,, this one is in the thousands. Even after coming back on after being totally offline yesterday,,, I happened to catch it right when it came back, and it showed over 500 people. Don’t know what it is actually counting,,, just always struck me as weird.

Attachments:
    wickededge
    Keymaster

Leo mentioned the same thing to me this weekend. That’s why we’re wondering about a brute force attack or something fishy in the code for the forum.

-Clay

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Oh look! Suddenly the number of guests is back to normal! “Curiouser and curiouser,” said Alice!

Leo

wickededge
    Keymaster

The site seems to be loading a little more quickly now too. We are moving to a new dedicated server soon, that should really help.

-Clay

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Clay,
    Just wanted to take a second and say thank you for working on a solution for all of us users. I imagine this has been very time consuming and probably expensive? I really appreciate having such a great resource as this to go to!
    Eamon

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Fwiw
    Sometimes I’m shown at the bottom of the page as a member when I’m logged in, and sometimes not.

wickededge
    Keymaster

Thanks for the support guys, it really means a lot. By this time next week we should be fully up and running on the new dedicated server. Hopefully the site will be much faster then.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hmm… Currently there are 1317 guests online (21 members), but the forum is close to its normal speed.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster

It seems a little implausible that there are so many guests logged on, considering the total site traffic on a given day. I think there is some glitch in the forum code that keeps users logged on, maybe even having multiple sessions and maybe that taxes the system resources.

-Clay

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I, for one, am guilty of staying logged on, even though I might not touch the thing for 12 or more hours. If it’s causing you problems, just say so and I’ll try to log out more often.

wickededge
    Keymaster

I, for one, am guilty of staying logged on, even though I might not touch the thing for 12 or more hours. If it’s causing you problems, just say so and I’ll try to log out more often.

No worries, I don’t think it’s from people not logging out. I think it is some kind of glitch in the system. The registered user numbers are normal, it’s the guests that are abnormally high.

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

The guest numbers have always been high,,, maybe changing hosts just brought it into the light. (I only mention this so you’re not looking for a recent event, if you’re looking for a cause).

I’m kinda bummed,,, I was hoping to try me some gator leather. :silly: 😆 😆

Thanks for working on this! :woohoo:

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

The guest numbers have always been high,,,

Now you mention it, yes. I recall that in the past I wondered how the number of visitors could be so high.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.