Advanced Search

I May Have Bittien Off……

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies I May Have Bittien Off……

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Don Llewellyn
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 43

I have this custom Damascus 15″ Bowie that was given to me – so of course I thought I could put a Wicked Edge on it. Well just to take the Sharpie off of the edge I had to set the WE at 30 degrees, and that still didn’t come near to touching the edge on one side near the tip. I’ve since gone back to 100 grit but I’m 2 hours into this and still can’t get to the edge. Plus, this huge knife keeps pivoting in the WE as the tip keeps moving up or down no matter how tight I have it. Well, I’ll keep at it and post pics when I’m done. (Cursing hand done edges!)

Don Llewellyn
    Participant

At 2:15 into it I got the last of the Sharpie removed and started moving up the grits, that took another 45 minutes but it’s done!

Here’s the knife as it was:

Here’s a quick pic of the new edge:

100 grit to 1600 grit and stropping to 3.5 microns.

Larry
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 44

That`s one really nice knife!! Does your friend have any more to give away?

Lucky

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

After all that, it does look great. I feel your pain; there’s a local knife maker, Arthur Lynn – images[/url] – that often sends me big damascus blades like that, completely unfinished, the edge as wide as a dime. Even with the 50/80 stones, I have to really dig in and work. Using a cross-hatch scratch pattern helps to take the metal down more quickly. The knives are usually weighted very heavily to the handle so I have to take extra care clamping them, especially since they are FFG. Using the foam tape on the insides of the jaws helps a lot. It seems like I have to tinker some to get the knife gripped well, but once it locks in, it stays pretty well. Where you able to get it firmly locked in place after all?

-Clay

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Wow! That is one fine knife Don! What a beauty! You had to work hard for that edge but all your rfforts were really worth it. Good stuff!

Cheers
    Leo

Edwin Lurvey
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 80

that knife is a beauty!!!

Mark
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 56

Looks good Don! Now that you’ve done it once on the WE if you have to do it again it will be a breeze.

Don Llewellyn
    Participant

Thanks all and Clay, after 100 grit the knife never moved on me again. Guess I was really working it! Now I started on a Bowie that I made, and have the same problem near the tip on one side. This knife was in Blade magazine back when I made it so I’d better not screw it up! Here’s a pic of it “before”:

I’ll post pics when I’m done!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Beautiful!

-Clay

Don Llewellyn
    Participant

I finally got it, after 3-4 hours of reprofiling. I cut myself twice, once through the thumbnail (at 100 grit) but it didn’t bleed and it’s ok. Here’s the result as best I can show:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.