Advanced Search

How to sharpen a chisel grind clip point blade?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Tips for Specific Knife Grinds and Styles How to sharpen a chisel grind clip point blade?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    RICK LINDSEY
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 2

Just got a DDC SnG chisel grind clip point lefty. Would like to touch up the edge a bit and put a scary sharp edge on it. Then polish it, but don’t want to mess it up. Obviously I have no idea of how to do this.
    I throw myself on you guys mercy. All help much appreciated and mucho thanks in advance….:unsure:

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I couldn’t find your particular knife in a search, so here’s generally how to sharpen a chisel grind. Match the bevel on the chisel ground side, (you can color the bevel with a Sharpie)… you may have to move the angle arm out as far as it will go – you can also lower the knife in the clamp if you need to. Then sharpen the chisel side to the desired finish minus stropping. Since you’re matching the bevel, you probably only need a fine diamond stone, then ceramics if you have them.

When done, remove the knife and deburr the back side by laying it flat (or nearly flat if you don’t want to mess up the finish) on a fine stone or ceramic (usually the stone you finished the front side with) and make a couple of light – edge leading passes to deburr it. Then, if you want, you can return the knife to the WE and lightly strop it with leather… again matching the chisel side and moving the other arm as close in as you can. (You can polish the front side as much as you want, but don’t strop the back too much or you’ll create a bevel on the back side… do just enough to keep the burr away.)

Should be sharp! 🙂

Make notes on how you set it up, so you can repeat the next time it needs a sharpening or touch-up!

blacksheep25
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 68

What WE setup do you have? You’ll likely need the PP2 imho. Can you post a pic of the DDC CG; if yours is a drop-point, that’s unique since D.Dwyer makes a lot of tantos.

RICK LINDSEY
    Participant

I have the Wicked Edge portable set up with extra stones(800-1000) and spraystrops, including the curved ceramic stones.
    No pics of my own, my tech-fu is weak…
    Thanks for your replies and help…..

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

What WE setup do you have? You’ll likely need the PP2 imho. Can you post a pic of the DDC CG; if yours is a drop-point, that’s unique since D.Dwyer makes a lot of tantos.

Way to go…. ask a good question… :dry: 😉

Having a F&S model does change things a bit. I looked at some pics… is it similar to this?

Any idea what angle is on there? It doesn’t look to be as large as some chisel grinds.

The issue will be whether or not you can match the angle. The F&S model doesn’t offer much in the way of adjustments… you can make some by moving the knife vertically, but it’s pretty limited. If you can, then you can follow what I described earlier.

Edit: By lowering the knife in the clamp on the F&S, I can get just over 32 deg…. so maybe?

Attachments:
    RICK LINDSEY
    Participant

cbwx34, That is the exact knife I have in my pocket right now. I love it and it is my EDC from now on…
    I thought the angle on the Striders was 22. Don’t know if it applies to this custom.
    Thanks for your feedback….

blacksheep25
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 68

22.5 (45 inclusive) is Strider’s standard angle for V-grind. Not familiar with the F&S, but unless it goes to 35 degrees (per side) like the PP2, I don’t think I would try sharpening that CG. IIRC, I sharpened a REX121 CG DDC, I think that was before I got my PP2; seems to recall having to set the adjustment out past the index marks, e.g. clamping to the bar.

If I find time this weekend, I pull out a DDC and measure the primary and secondary bevels.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.