Advanced Search

How to determine the type of edge you want?

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat How to determine the type of edge you want?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    T.J.
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Sorry for the simpleness of this post but I was wondering if there was a good video out there showing how to determine the type of edge you need and how to do it?  Thank you.

dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

Do you mean type of edge like one of these?

knife_edge_types2

Attachments:
    T.J.
    Participant

Thank you for the diagram.  I have VG-10 and  ZDP-189 blades, wondering what the benefits are of the above diagram or some kind of direction on the “best” all around grind.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Sorry for the simpleness of this post but I was wondering if there was a good video out there showing how to determine the type of edge you need and how to do it? Thank you.

It might help to know the make/model of the knives and how you like to use them, what you like to cut.

-Clay

dulledge
    Participant

This page Knife Edge Grinds and Uses  say that  “V (flat) ground” is the ” best all around”.

I am not sure if you are asking about edge or about grind. Grind is “shape of the cross-section of the blade” as described in Wiki here. Edge is tip of the knife about 1/16″ width. Grind is usually entire knife cross-section across from spine to edge tip.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    T.J.
    Participant

I have a Delica 4, in VG-10, and a Dragonfly in ZDP.  I use the Delica on larger tasks similar to whittling wood, and the dragonfly on small house hold tasks like paper, tape, lighter cardboard.  I guess I was looking for some direction on a overview of sharpening techniques with use styles.  Thank you for you response and patience.

dulledge
    Participant

Good video Knives 101 : Talking About Grinds!

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

To keep my sharpening life simple, I sharpen almost everything at 20 dps (degrees per side) unless there’s a very good reason not to.  When a special application comes along, I’ll decide what it needs and then document it carefully so I can replicate it when touch-up time comes.  For all the small folders I have around the house I have a standard mounting position and they all get the 20 dps.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

tcmeyer makes a good point that 20° per side is a pretty good one-size-fits-all choice and when with a simple, repeatable setup is a very effective and convenient. If you’re just starting out, I’d recommend getting good at creating a nice, clean bevel at 20° with a few cheap knives. Once you’re confident in your technique, you can tackle your better knives. From there, a lot of customization of the edge is possible with the Wicked Edge and can be very engaging to play with. You can start to tune your knives a little with each re-sharpening and discover what you like.

-Clay

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Curious if T.J. may be referring to the toothiness of the apex as well?  All other things being equal (20dps, flat bevel, etc), the toothiness then determines what tasks a knife is best suited for yes?

Side note:  I also have a dragonfly in zdp-189 that I havent touched since I bought it simple because the edge is a high water mark I want to learn to replicate.  It will slice paper n shave arm hair…but also has a refined tooth to it that bites the skin like few Ive seen do.

Speed
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

ZDP-189 should be able to hold a good edge with as low as a 15dps angle easily. You may want to determine the current angle and still with that though as ZDP-189 is a hard steel that will take time to reprofile. VG 10 is used with a 15dps angle by many chefs. You are using it for heavier task though and may want a greater angle to increase edge strength and reduce the chance of chipping. A double bevel can give some of the advantages of greater and lesser angles to an edge in some people’s opinion and definitely makes touch up easier once the initial angles are established.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I use my Delica in ZDP as an EDC.  Early on, I tried 17 dps and I had some chipping.  At 19 dps, I’ve had no chipping.  The 17 dps was a one-off, one time trial and I wouldn’t call it definitive by any means.  The chips might have been caused by some unusual situation.  It was enough, however, to guide me away from lower angles.  Once bitten, twice shy.

Today I sharpened a damascus chef’s knife I finished with rosewood scales.  I bought the finished blade from Woodcraft.  It was really sharp as it came out of the box, so I checked the angle with a sharpie.  One side was lower than I could get with my LAA, which was about 7.5 deg,  the other was closer to 20.  I re-centered the edge at 17 dps.  Still scary sharp.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.