Advanced Search

How to clean my diamond stones?

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance How to clean my diamond stones?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Justin D
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 4

Howdy,

I just purchased the wicked edge for Christmas and have been sharpening knives none stop. I’ve noticed that some cheaper knives will loan up metal flakes in the stones and are in need of cleaning. My question with this post is what is the correct way to clean my diamond stones? I’ve used a toothbrush with warm water and it works ok but after I dry the stones I’ve noticed rust spotting on the stones. What am I doing wrong and what can I do better? I’ve heard you can used erasers to clean the stones but idk. Thanks everyone for the help.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

My diamond stones seem to shed any accumulation of steel filings – sometimes just by shaking them off.  I do use the Superaser regularly, but mostly on my diamond film blocks.  It works great on ceramic as well, which was its original intent.  You can buy it from WE for $4.50.

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Justin welcome to our forum!

I also use the WE erasers on my stones.  I give each stone a good scrubbing after every use.

Alan

Justin D
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 4

Thanks guys. I looked up the WE eraser and it said its for ceramic stones. It works on diamond stones too?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I’ve never used the eraser on the diamond stones. These seem a bit coarse for it. I simply clean the diamond stones using a toothbrush and some soapy water.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Aloha Justin and also welcome to the forum…I just picked up a set of stiff plastic, brass, and steel wire hobby scrub brushes at the hardware the other day for $1.  Wondering if they might would work as well?

Edwe
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 11

I newer feel the need of cleaning the diamond stones, only the ceramic.

I wet the stones on a sponge neatly soaked with water and dish soap, as Clay suggested in a vid, to keep them moistened and keep of the steel dust.

After using i wipe them of with the same sponge and draw them on a towel, I’l keep em on the towel as I use the next pair of stones so they dry a bit until I store them in the shelf, not in a plastik bag!

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I use windex, both on my diamonds and lapping films. A squirt or two, rub it in w/ a finger, wipe it off w/ a clean paper towel and you are good to go 😉

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

I tried this method… but not comfortable with the results. I’ve resorted to the eraser method.

20151207_190330<b></b><i></i><u></u>

Anonymous
    Inactive

I use windex, both on my diamonds and lapping films. A squirt or two, rub it in w/ a finger, wipe it off w/ a clean paper towel and you are good to go ?

Windex… you must be Greek  LOL  Windex is the Universal Greek cure for anything from a pimple on your nose, to a dirty diamond stone ( ref: My Big Fat Greek Wedding )

Mark76
    Participant

Bill, some time ago I read a post by someone who was very happy with the results of his ultrasonic cleaner, particularly on the ceramic stones. Why don’t you like yours?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bill, some time ago I read a post by someone who was very happy with the results of his ultrasonic cleaner, particularly on the ceramic stones. Why don’t you like yours?

Mark, after three minutes in the tank, the stone fell off the paddle. Clay said it was because I cleaned the ceramic stones… in the tank. So I did not want to try any of the others… the stones were held in place by what appears to be hot glue. when the stones fell off, it was difficult to remove the glue from the paddles, the retention was significant. The retention on the ceramic surface was gone. I had to sharpen a chisel to get the glue off the paddles, to refit the stones and hot glue them in place… all is well with the stones, I ve used those stones a dozen times since, without issue.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I see a new field in the postings from the developer… testing a new add-on. so IM testing the TEST

Anonymous
    Inactive

AS I suspected, the New Add-on changes every time a new post is added..  not sure of the relationship of the new number, but it does change. I don’t know if its related to me, or the day, or the actual post within the thread, since the last time I viewed it… but the number does in fact change.

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks for warning about the ultrasonic cleaner. There’s a separate test topic, by the way.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.