Advanced Search

How long do the stones last?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies How long do the stones last?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    David
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 23

I don’t know enough about the stones to know whether they are wearing quicker than I expected or just nicely broken in, especially the 100 grit. Ive sharpened perhaps 50 knives, one or two needed lots of time with the 100 grit (3 very hard stainless steel kitchen knives).

I’ve also used the curved ceramic stones and they seem to loose lots of ceramic in the powder that comes off – very different than the Spyderco ceramic rods which shed nothing).

Thanks

Attachments:
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I don’t know enough about the stones to know whether they are wearing quicker than I expected or just nicely broken in, especially the 100 grit. Ive sharpened perhaps 50 knives, one or two needed lots of time with the 100 grit (3 very hard stainless steel kitchen knives).

I’ve also used the curved ceramic stones and they seem to loose lots of ceramic in the powder that comes off – very different than the Spyderco ceramic rods which shed nothing).

Thanks

Nice Edge! The diamond stones should last much, much longer than 50 knives. The set I’m using has done many hundreds. You might try cleaning them really well under running water with a nylon or gentle wire brush with some dish soap. The curved stones do shed a lot. Using them a little wet works well. Coorstek (that make the Spyderco stones and rods) is going to be making some ceramics for us soon.

-Clay

David
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 23

Wash the stones… will crank up the power washer when it thaws outside!

An outstanding product, and I have the cuts to prove it!

And thanks re the edge. Shiny is nice.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

It is turning a bit off-topic, but I clean my ceramic stones simply in a dish washer. It was a tip Sal Glesser gave in his Sharpmaker instruction video and it works great. I clean my diamond stones with a nylon brush and simple dish soap, like Clay.

But I wondered, would putting the diamond stones in the dish washer not work as well? They need less cleaning than the ceramic stones. Or would the abrasives in the dish washer do something nasty to the diamond stones? (Difficult to imagine, since diamond is a lot harder.) Or am I overseeing something?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

I think the heat of the dishwasher would likely cause more damage – it could cause the adhesive to come lose between the plate and the paddle and possibly warp the paddle.

For cleaning the diamonds and the ceramics all I use is an old toothbrush and some liquid soap. Real high tech, I know 😆

David
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 47

I’m not sure how many factories coorstek has, but I work across the street basically from the one in Hillsboro, OR. And actually went to a fire they had last year.

Rafael Jorge
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 4

It would be nice if Wicked Edge introduced a couple of new stones to follow the 1200/1600. Just a bit more edge refinement before the strops.

Mark76
    Participant

It would be nice if Wicked Edge introduced a couple of new stones to follow the 1200/1600. Just a bit more edge refinement before the strops.

How about the fine Chosera’s and Shaptons? B)

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

We’re working with Coorstek to introduce some extremely fine ceramics. Their lead time is 8-12 weeks, so we’re looking at the end of April for the first batch.

-Clay

Lukas Pop
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 109

We’re working with Coorstek to introduce some extremely fine ceramics. Their lead time is 8-12 weeks, so we’re looking at the end of April for the first batch.[/quote]

Great news Clay! It’s fine that you are keeping improving Wicked Edge. I just found that you quietly added 1 and 0.5 Micron Diamond Strop Pack. What is the comparison with diamond sprays of the same grit size? And why you didn’t add 1/0.5 micron diamond paste refils?

Lukas

Mark76
    Participant

Great news Clay! It’s fine that you are keeping improving Wicked Edge. [/Quote]
    +1

[Quote]
    I just found that you quietly added 1 and 0.5 Micron Diamond Strop Pack.

Where did you see this, Lukas? I cannot find it at the site.

Lukas Pop
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 109
    Mark76
    Participant
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.