Advanced Search

How do you sharpen a Filet knives

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies How do you sharpen a Filet knives

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Matt simmerman
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 10

My first post and wanted to say how I really like the Wicked Edge sharpening system. Got the pro pack I and sharpened my kershaw leek and my victorinox multi tool. both are razor sharp. :woohoo:

My issue is with sharpening filet knives…. :unsure:

I have three martini filets and a buck 223 and many others that need sharpened. The blades are so shallow that I hit the clamp before I can get a descent angle. Is there a solution to this? I tried bringing the blade up as far as possible(even above the top two alignment holes) and still cannot sharpen to an steep enough angle. I cannot go much less than 19 degree settings or the stones rub the clamp.

also note that the tip is very wobbly when sharpening. In the instructions it shows a blade support for the filet knife tip but mine didn’t come with. The new riser block is to tall for the old and the new longer supports aren’t available yet. I am told that I will get one sent to me when they are available.

thanks for any assistance with these issues

Peace

Mat

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

If you have the old arms you could just take the riser block out and use the support rod under the tip then. That’s the only way I’ve ever done fillet knives I believe. You may be able to just move it back in the vice to where the tip doesn’t flex so much, and with the handle you could just prop it against your chest 🙂 I don’t have the upgraded arms so I can’t help you there!

As far as angle goes, I would just go as low as you can without hitting the vice and call it a day. Hope this helps somewhat.

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

…….also note that the tip is very wobbly when sharpening. In the instructions it shows a blade support for the filet knife tip but mine didn’t come with. The new riser block is to tall for the old and the new longer supports aren’t available yet. I am told that I will get one sent to me when they are available.

thanks for any assistance with these issues

Peace

Mat

For the wiggly front end of fillet knives, etc.

I found some metal BBQ skewers that are 1/8 inch wide and 12-16 inches long. I measured, cut one off at the right distance, used a hack saw to cut a nice notch, did just a little “re-profiling” with a file and it fits beautifully in the hole for the front “stabilizer” and holds the knives just fine.

A couple of wider, longer blades were also more wobbly than I wanted to see. So, I actually made several supports of different lengths.

Also, I use the remaining section as my depth marker for small knives. When I mount a smaller, less-wide knife, I put the two-prong key in the top, shallow slot, lay my old skewer on top of that edge-wise and the knife rests on that. It adds exactly 1/8 inch, every time. It is also thinner (with just a little filing) than any knife I’ve used so once the knife is locked in, the skewer slips right out along with the two-pronged key.

Repeat-ability….

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

My issue is with sharpening filet knives….

I have three martini filets and a buck 223 and many others that need sharpened. The blades are so shallow that I hit the clamp before I can get a descent angle. Is there a solution to this?

Mat

Mat, welcome to the WEPS……….I too had the same issue when I first tried to sharpen 3 filet knives with my PP 2 setup………it has the riser block and the upgraded arms, so I ran into the same exact issues on mine. What I did was settle on an angle that would NOT rub the clamp / vise, positioned the blade as far back as I could that would allow the rear portion to remain stable, and simply held the front or tip of the blade as I stroked forward with the paddle………..crude I know, but I was able to get a very nice and sharp edge, although the bevel was slightly uneven near the tip. I am working on an idea to solve this issue with these type of thin, flexible knives, and will post it when done. :cheer:

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hey Max, welcome to the forums! Enjoy your WEPS!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Matt simmerman
    Participant

Thanks for the responses.

I had been playing around with how to get this done and came up with some possible remedies.

I moved the knife all the way forward in the clamp where the blades is the deepest.
    2.) I turrned the arms 90 degrees forward. Got that idea from a video of Clay sharpening a straight razor.
    3.) I braced the tip of the blade with my opposite hand (short term solution) as Darrell mentioned in his post (thanks Darrell 🙂 )

I had to sharpen the blade nearest the handle with very very short strokes but was able to do it. I am still not sure how that will turn out.

The tip of the blade has a much larger cut in. It should work ok but the bevel is larger at the tip and that does concern me a bit.

Question??? I noticed that i could not sharpen the last 1/8 inch or so of the blade do to the plastic colored bumpers. Has anyone shaved those off to get access to the last bit of blade?

I am still on 200 grit. It took a very long time to shave that steel with 100 grit diamond stones :angry:

I am looking for a temporary solution to support the blade as Gib mentioned in his post (thanks Gib 🙂 )

I took the angle pretty steep and couldn’t tell you what it is as I do not have an angle cube but I have a feeling I am going to make a second less steep bevel when this is all done.

We will see.

Thanks again for the insights, suggestions and warm welcomes. I am a bit of a mad scientist but its always good to hear some possible solutions from those who have been there. I will post what I find. :silly:

Peace

Mat

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

This was my solution….

(There’s a couple other pics in the linked thread).

… 2 paper clamps and some string, works great. It allows me to correctly set the tip. Or as Josh said, on some knives I can just brace it against my “chest” (more like stomach). 🙂 He’s also right… don’t get too caught up in angles, go as low as you can without hitting the clamp (following the other tips mentioned like mounting it as high in the clamp that you can, etc.), and I’m betting it’ll be plenty sharp. :woohoo: My .02 anyway.

Matt simmerman
    Participant

thanks Curtis.

that is one of those that I would not have though of :pinch: :whistle:

Peace

Matt simmerman
    Participant

:woohoo: Just got word that Wicked Edge is sending me the knife support for sharping filet knives etc.

I bought the pro pack I with the riser block and the original support wouldn’t work (too short).

FYI to those who made the mod and thanks to Wicked Edge and Sarah for being awesome 🙂

Peace

Mat

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

That affirms what a great company they are I don’t think many would do that .

WE GOLD STAR COMPANY !!!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.