Advanced Search

Holding Wicked Edge stones for freehand sharpening

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Holding Wicked Edge stones for freehand sharpening

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

We probably all have a number of Wicked Edge stones on paddles. I guessed it would be nice if these stones could also be used for freehand sharpening. They can be put plainly on the table like “normal” whetstones, of course. However, how should the Wicked Edge stones be prevented from slipping?

I asked this question a few weeks ago and I got answers from (I think) Tom and Ken. Tom suggested to hold the stones in your hands 🙂 and Ken suggested some construction using a standard stone holder that was difficult for me to visualize.

And then I accidentally deleted the threat. :woohoo: :woohoo: :S :blink: :angry: :angry: 👿 :pinch: 🙁 🙁 🙁

The “delete threat” button is directly above the “reply to threat” button (at least for mods) and if you press it, you are not asked for a confirmation. I am really sorry, everyone, and particularly Tom and Ken. I promise that in the future I will be very careful when replying to a topic.

Ken’s suggestion about a standard stone holder got me thinking. And the answer is so simple even I could think of it: an adjustable holder for normal whetstones also fits the Wicked Edge paddles with their stones:

I got the stone holder from here, but there are probably many other shops that sell it.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Great solution. I have people that ask about this occasionally and it will be good to be able to point them to your post!
    And I (and probably most of us) understand about hitting the wrong button – too bad that there is no confirmation, that seems to be a flaw….
    Bob

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.