Advanced Search

Hey all. Just ordered up an Wicked Edge Pro Pack

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hey all. Just ordered up an Wicked Edge Pro Pack

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Here’s the whole collection:

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Here are a couple more shots of the spike knives to give a sense of how much they taper:

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Thanks!

Any idea what the quality of the steel is like in the railroad spike knives? I’ve heard both good and bad about them… never handled one in person though.

wickededge
    Keymaster

Thanks!

Any idea what the quality of the steel is like in the railroad spike knives? I’ve heard both good and bad about them… never handled one in person though.

The steel isn’t super hard though I think it’s fairly tough. I’ll have to do some investigating to see what can be learned about them.

Edit: I found this resource with some interesting reading: http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/2280-railroad-spike-steel/%5B/url%5D and here: http://www.anvilfire.com/article.php?bodyName=/FAQs/rr-spike.htm

-Clay

Craig Davis
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 20

Thanks for the pics Mr. Wickededge.

So tonight I did a (very) slight reprofile on my NIB BM Barrage. I can say that it now has a Wicked Edge and M390 is absolutely no match for my new toy.

Disassembled the Barrage and the blade is going off for heat treat.

Johpe
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 71

That is interesting! I’ve got a NIB Barrage as well, let me known if you notice any real difference after heat treatment.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I can say that it now has a Wicked Edge and M390 is absolutely no match for my new toy.

Yeah, it’s funny when I read on other forums how much trouble people have sharpening these new steels like M390 or ZDP-189. I note little difference with many other harder stainless steels. The diamond stones still go through them like butter and even the medium (ceramic) stones work fine. Only if I want to go further and I’m not out for a mirror finish, I prefer Shaptons over Choseras.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

The diamond stones still go through them like butter and even the medium (ceramic) stones work fine.

Strage, when I use the diamonds they go through steel like … well Steel.:silly:

Maybe I am doing something wrong???

Only if I want to go further and I’m not out for a mirror finish, I prefer Shaptons over Choseras

Why do you prefer the Shaptons. I have heard arguments on both sides of this, but I am curious as to your reasons.
    I only have the Shapton stones in 5K and 15K. I have had them for about 8 months and used them exactly 4 times. Obviously I am not that impressed with them. Of course I am a creature of habit … and tend to go back to what seems to work well for me. I did not find that the Shaptons cut any faster, or produced a sharper edge, but they do leave a scratchy bevel (even at 15K which is listed as having a finer abrasive than the 10K Chosera).

I would be interested in trying the Shapton 30K some day, but the cost/benefit ratio is not really there for me at this time.

Craig Davis
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 20

Wow–the jewelers loupe doesn’t lie and sure shows the scratches…

Looking forward to using this tool to work on my technique. B)

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Wow–the jewelers loupe doesn’t lie and sure shows the scratches…

It does. But even more you can get a great view of the edge of the edge. Sometimes, even after I think I’ve apexed, once I go down a couple grits, I can see a thin line where I’m not actually quite there…. Back up, go forward 😉

Enjoy it, a loop is a great tool.

Ken

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.