Advanced Search

Heresy?

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Heresy?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Before I could afford a Wicked Edge…
    I decided to build one… Or two.
    Here’s the 1st…

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Dude that’s ingenious! Very simple… how low of angles can you get on that? What is that vise made of?

looks like you have a machine shop you work in or something…

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

That looks good. Heresy would be buying a lulu

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Certainly more elegant than mine…. I built it before I had heard of the WE trying to refine my edges.

After I had sharpened a few knives like this I started shopping around. When I saw the WE, there was not one sliver of a doubt in my mind.

Attachments:

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I love these proto-WEPSes! (Or should I say post-WEPSes?) Very ingenious!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

Josh,

No, no machine shop. Just my 533 sq^2 studio apartment and a porch I share with the unit next to me here in central Austin , TX.

The clamp is actually from an old Smith sharpening system I had lying around. The base is a solid steel plate I got from a buddy who worked for a locksmith a while back. The arms are simply small u-joints made for RC cars I picked up at a small hobby shop that take a 3/16″ shaft. As for the stones, I used the ones included included with Lansky system, then I epoxied 9/32″ (?) tubing to them. The collars and cross bar are from a socket head track and a piece of 1/8″ thick G10 cut to 3/4″ wide. I used more of the same G10 to layer the base and clamp for aesthetics. I used a Delta 1″/5″ belt sander/grinder combo for the shaping. From there, Rust-oleum satin black spray paint.

Holla if you’re curious to know more, brotha!

Oh, and you should see the second model I built out of aluminum scrap with spherical ball joints like!! :woohoo: Hahaha. I’m TOTALLY serious, man… And my girlfriend would probably tell you I’m seriously insane.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Well Steve… I never did buy into that “great minds think alike” crap, but you’ve gotten my attention.

Tom

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

TC,

Thank you, sir. I’m elated to be a part of this community and hope to become seriously involved in due time; which is only made possible by learning from individuals, such as yourself, much more knowledgeable than me.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

Here’s the second proto-WEPS I made at home. Solid aluminum with ball joint arms B)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.