Advanced Search

HELP with acute edge on paring knife & steak knife

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Tips for Specific Knife Grinds and Styles HELP with acute edge on paring knife & steak knife

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    R. Jeffrey Coates
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 55

STEAK KNIFE: Vintage Chicago Cutlery 103S I have 18 of them. I am trying to put a 19 deg. edge on them. I am using Top holes. As for horizontal setting …. any where from flush against the scales to A.5. I have used spacers and w/o spacers.
    PROBLEM: Rubbing against the clamp. What can I do? I do not want to put a 24Deg angle on the blades.

PARING KNIFE: Shun DM-0700 3 1/2 paring knife – Essentially the same as above but I am trying to get under 18 deg.
    PROBLEM: keep hitting the clamp.

Ideas / SOLUTIONS are most appreciated.

Thanks 🙂

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Try mounting them higher (above the top holes).

Does your set up have the riser block and new arms, ie pro pack II ?

R. Jeffrey Coates
    Participant

Yes I am using PP II. I had not gone higher than the top holes yet. I thought that someone might have an idea on continuity of repeating the rise. A toothpick was my thought.

Mark Massie
    Participant
    • Replies: 37

Hello,

I have been using a set of hex keys to adjust the blade height – just put a hex key on top of the height adjustment prongs. Can easily change the height by using different size hex keys. For ease in producing the result in the future, just jot down the size hex key used.

Mark

R. Jeffrey Coates
    Participant

Hello,

I have been using a set of hex keys to adjust the blade height – just put a hex key on top of the height adjustment prongs. Can easily change the height by using different size hex keys. For ease in producing the result in the future, just jot down the size hex key used.

Mark

Thanks. Do you use spacers as well because, in my application the hex key would be wider than the knife blade so unless it was under the spacers it might hang-up. Have you experienced this? But it sounds like a great solution.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Thanks for asking this. It inspired me to create a page with Frequently Asked Forum Questions on the Wiki.

Here is the direct link to the question and answers.

Please let the answers on the FAFQ not deter people from discussing this subject here or giving even smarter answers!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mark Massie
    Participant

Hello,

I have not experienced this, but there some very small hex keys, down to .5mm or so. If the hex key will not work, then my only suggestion is to simply raise the knife up in the vice clamp.

Mark

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

What if you took a piece of cardboard or card stock (I used a 3×5 card) and made a vertical ruler? Just punch a couple of holes in it, and use it along with the horizontal alignment guide.

You could either make marks ahead of time, or set one knife in where you want it, then just mark the card where the knife is set. I made a quick example…

Seems it would be pretty easy to repeat the setup with this.

Attachments:
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

What if you took a piece of cardboard or card stock (I used a 3×5 card) and made a vertical ruler? Just punch a couple of holes in it, and use it along with the horizontal alignment guide.

You could either make marks ahead of time, or set one knife in where you want it, then just mark the card where the knife is set. I made a quick example…

Seems it would be pretty easy to repeat the setup with this.

This is a really cool idea, maybe a nice new accessory we could put out in a clear plastic with horizontal markings!

-Clay

Samuel Gabriel
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

This is a really cool idea, maybe a nice new accessory we could put out in a clear plastic with horizontal markings!

Yes, or perhaps a metal “L” with the two holes, so the one side goes out horizontally as it currently does, but the other side goes up vertically, with small increments marked on the left and the right, so you can line up the left and the right side markings to the knife edge and record them. They would have to be fine increments, like mm’s or whatever it is that you yanks use; 16ths or 32ndssss? :blink:

Mark Massie
    Participant

Awesome idea!

Samuel Gabriel
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

Yes, because often (usually) a blade is V shaped from heel to tip, so if you line up the back of the blade horizontally, that means that the sharpened edge of the blade angles down in the clamp. The rules of geometry tell us that when the blade angles down, the sharpening bevel angle (using a fixed pivot point) changes. So it is better to have the sharpened edge horizontal and the back of the blade on an angle in the clamp. so using fine markings on each side of a vertical ruler, you can get the blade closer to horizontal, and therefore, the bevel angle will be more consistent, right?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.