Advanced Search

Help needed and advise.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 44

Hi guys,

Getting really good results with my WEP now.

However, my FFG Spyderco is proving very difficult to set up to touch up the blade. I wanted to give the blade a little touch up and ended up going down to the 200 grit stones to get the Bevel angles to match. I mounted the knife at the heal of the blade to try Nd keep it central as much as poss. I know this is inconsistency due to the FFG blade.

My thoughts were if I was to get a angle cube, setting the angles to the blade to the desired 20 degrees by using the cube, it would matter what the WE arms said, ie 18deg on the left and 21 on the right, just as long as the stone to blade angle is the same. This is correct isn’t it?

Would buying a. Use and using this about method work guys yeh?

Many thanks Steve

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

If I understand what you’ve written, and you are talking about using the method Razoredgeknives/Josh showed in a video he made, then the answer is yes, the angle cube will give you the correct angle. Being consistent with your stroke will always be important as is light pressure.

You will also need to be consistent in how you measure your angle ie , are you taking measurements at the top of the stone or lower on it? The play in between the paddle and the rods will give different readings up high or down lower. Also, if the angle cube is tilted forward or back ward, it will affect the reading.

Steve
    Participant

If I understand what you’ve written, and you are talking about using the method Razoredgeknives/Josh showed in a video he made, then the answer is yes, the angle cube will give you the correct angle. Being consistent with your stroke will always be important as is light pressure.

You will also need to be consistent in how you measure your angle ie , are you taking measurements at the top of the stone or lower on it? The play in between the paddle and the rods will give different readings up high or down lower. Also, if the angle cube is tilted forward or back ward, it will affect the reading.

Yes this is correct. Even using Razoredgeknivs method, when marking up the bevels with a sharpie and making a few passes to check my bevel angle, they Are out enough for me to need to take quite a bit of material off to make them true again.

Surely a angle cube is the most accurate method to get it consistent regardless of what angle the WE ares are set too, it is angle to the blade measured by the cube that matters surely.

Thanks for the reply

Steve

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Yes this is correct. Even using Razoredgeknivs method, when marking up the bevels with a sharpie and making a few passes to check my bevel angle, they Are out enough for me to need to take quite a bit of material off to make them true again.

Surely a angle cube is the most accurate method to get it consistent regardless of what angle the WE ares are set too, it is angle to the blade measured by the cube that matters surely.

Thanks for the reply

Steve[/quote]

Yeah steve, use an angle cube. The markings on the base bar are only calculated for an edge that is exactly 5/8″ off of the top of the vise. So height can make a difference, as can blade tilt. You can fix both problems with an angle cube and ignore the readings on the base bar from that point forward. hope this helps!

Steve
    Participant

Hi thanks for that Josh.

I watched your YouTube video, the on about canceling out blade can’t in the vice/clamp, by working out the cant error then compensating for it by rod angle adjustments, makes dead sense. I have ordered a angle cube now. 😉

This way, to a certain existent it doesn’t matter how you mount the blade, provided you work out the correct required adjustment. Bit like dialing in with a rifle. 😉

Thanks again Josh.

Steve.

Steve
    Participant

Basically, what I want to do is put my Spyderco knife back in the clamps when needed and just use the 1000 grit stones just to touch the blade up as and when so I don’t have to reprofile the knife all the time.

I believe Josh’s method will be spot on. 😉

Steve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.