Advanced Search

HELP! Mora/Scandi Grind w/ WEPS?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ryan
    Participant
    • Topics: 13
    • Replies: 21

Okay, I’ve searched everywhere – on this forum on You Tube and have not found any instructors, tips, or guidance on using the WEPS on a Scandi/Mora edge.

Anything unique or special I need to be concerned about as I start sharpening all my buddy’s Moras…cuz they’re gonna ask and expect me to get ’em sharp!

Ryan

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

If you want to keep it as a full scandi then the angle to sharpen is that of the sides of the knife or you can put a conventional cutting bevel of anywhere from 16 – 23 * on each side depending on how strong an edge is required the higher angles will alow for more chopping use whist the lower angles will produce a more delicate shaving type edge the scandi edge itself is a very fine low angled edge but require a lot of maintenance to keep it razor sharp the one attraction of the scandi is that rather like sharpening a razor the blade sets the angle for you the disadvantage is that not been hollow ground it has a huge surface to work on to sharpen particularly if the blade is very blunt . The steel will produce a very good edge whatever you decide to do.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Yeah its my understanding that you have to sharpen the entire primary grind all the way to the edge of the edge… in other words, you have a zero grind (i.e. if its full flat ground then you have no secondary edge or micro bevel). But you can micro bevel it somewhat without any negative effects I would imagine, if you keep it small. But if you want to sharpen the entire primary grind, you can’t do it on the weps… you could only put the micro bevel on it with the WEPS since it can only go down to about 14-15 dps.

Haakon Aase Heie
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 20

Anyone tried with the low angle adapter? Just ordered one hoping that it will make it possible to do most scandis on the PP2, and there are a lot of them around over here. Technically, if you put a micro bevel on them, they are no longer a scandi grind…

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Anyone tried with the low angle adapter? Just ordered one hoping that it will make it possible to do most scandis on the PP2, and there are a lot of them around over here. Technically, if you put a micro bevel on them, they are no longer a scandi grind…

How are you planing to clamp the blade in the clamp and then grind the entire surface of the blade? :unsure:

Haakon Aase Heie
    Participant

Hello Eamon:-)

They are not difficult to clamp, because the bevel starts like from 1/2 to 1/3 part of the blade towards the edge. The tip is the only part that is 100% zero grind.

Try to get some pictures in here (this particular one needs lots of work as you can see:-))

Angle is 12,30 degrees. I can’t really see why that should not work with the low angle adapter…

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Big chips I would estimate it will take between 2 to 4 hours to get the chips out grinding at 12.3Ëšand get it to the sort of finish you would expect from the WE.
    I am sure the result will be good but I don’t think the knife is worth that much work spent on it I would set the stones to the highest angle to remove the chips which would not take long at 30Ëš with the courses stone then I would put a micro bevel around say 16Ëšpre side I imagine that would take something like 20 minutes and the knife would be very sharp plus you won’t of wasted precious diamonds on what is a cheap knife which has been used as a cheap knife (the chips verify that) ; yes the steel is good but I would not dream of doing that for someone & I would be pushed to do it for myself.
    Still if you do it as a scandi grind it would be interesting to hear how long it took.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Yeah its my understanding that you have to sharpen the entire primary grind all the way to the edge of the edge… in other words, you have a zero grind (i.e. if its full flat ground then you have no secondary edge or micro bevel). But you can micro bevel it somewhat without any negative effects I would imagine, if you keep it small. But if you want to sharpen the entire primary grind, you can’t do it on the weps… you could only put the micro bevel on it with the WEPS since it can only go down to about 14-15 dps.

Hello Eamon:-)

They are not difficult to clamp, because the bevel starts like from 1/2 to 1/3 part of the blade towards the edge. The tip is the only part that is 100% zero grind.

Try to get some pictures in here (this particular one needs lots of work as you can see:-))

Angle is 12,30 degrees. I can’t really see why that should not work with the low angle adapter…

Oh I see says the blind man. Thank you for clearing that up for me!! By Josh’s explanation I understood it as the entire blade would have to be ground?
    It makes sense to me now how the angle adapter would work for it. I have one due in today. Should be fun to play with! Thanks again! 😉

Haakon Aase Heie
    Participant

Big chips I would estimate it will take between 2 to 4 hours to get the chips out grinding at 12.3Ëšand get it to the sort of finish you would expect from the WE.
    I am sure the result will be good but I don’t think the knife is worth that much work spent on it I would set the stones to the highest angle to remove the chips which would not take long at 30Ëš with the courses stone then I would put a micro bevel around say 16Ëšpre side I imagine that would take something like 20 minutes and the knife would be very sharp plus you won’t of wasted precious diamonds on what is a cheap knife which has been used as a cheap knife (the chips verify that) ; yes the steel is good but I would not dream of doing that for someone & I would be pushed to do it for myself.
    Still if you do it as a scandi grind it would be interesting to hear how long it took.

I am not sure what to do yet. I got it from a friend. I am also waiting for the 50/80 stones in my package, so maybe I’ll use it to break them in?

I’ll just see what to do and how much time to put into it. If I decide to do it as a scandi, I’ll let you know how it worked out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.