Advanced Search

Hello, I’m new and just subscribed.

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hello, I’m new and just subscribed.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I’m going to second Josh. I have both and believe the pours to be to large on the balsa for sub um? The Roo is a clear winner in this case. Also if you are looking for a edge with “tooth” the 14/10 balsa are amazing! Followed with 5um and I can whittle hair.

Mark McClain
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 9

Ok thanks guys. You’re all awesome for helping. But honestly, I’m Not familiar with any of the slang terminology, such as um or 1U and .125 u. .? Sorry, please advise. Lol. Thanks,
    Mark.
    Ps. Thanks again, I will go for the Kangaroo strops first, and possibly add the balsa at a later date. Plus give me the secret again to whittle hair ? I’ve done so by hand with my Japanese WaterStones, but tomorrow when my Wicked Edge arrives, I will be lost. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Ok thanks guys. You’re all awesome for helping. But honestly, I’m Not familiar with any of the slang terminology, such as um or 1U and .125 u. .? Sorry, please advise. Lol. Thanks,
    Mark.
    Ps. Thanks again, I will go for the Kangaroo strops first, and possibly add the balsa at a later date. Plus give me the secret again to whittle hair ? I’ve done so by hand with my Japanese WaterStones, but tomorrow when my Wicked Edge arrives, I will be lost. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Mark,
    I asked the exact same question when I was new to the WEPS. Um refers to the size of the particle in the compound. Here is Wikiedia answer,
    Micrometre
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    “Micron” redirects here. For other uses, see Micron (disambiguation).
    “Microscale” redirects here. For other uses, see Microscale (disambiguation).
    For the measuring instrument, see Micrometer.
    1 micrometre =
    SI units
    1.0000×10−6 m 1.00000 μm
    US customary / Imperial units
    3.2808×10−6 ft 39.370×10−6 in
    Look up micrometre in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
    The micrometre (International spelling as used by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures; SI symbol: µm) or micrometer (American spelling) is an SI derived unit of length equaling 1×10−6 of a metre (SI standard prefix “micro-” = 10−6); that is, one millionth of a metre (or one thousandth of a millimetre, 0.001 mm, or about 0.000039 inch). The symbol µm is sometimes rendered as um if the symbol µ cannot be used, or if the writer is not aware of the distinction.
    The micrometre is a common unit of measurement for wavelengths of infrared radiation as well as sizes of cells and bacteria and is also commonly used in plastics manufacturing.[1]
    Micrometres are the standard for grading wool (referring to the diameter of wool fibres). Any wool finer than 25 µm can be used for garments, while coarser grades are used for outerwear, rugs and carpets.
    The symbol for the SI prefix micro-, µ, is a Greek lowercase mu, μ. In Unicode, it has the codepoint U+00B5, distinct from that of the Greek letter lowercase mu so that machines can recognize it as the SI prefix symbol rather than as a letter. Many fonts use the same glyph for the two characters.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.