Advanced Search

Hello, I’m new and just subscribed.

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hello, I’m new and just subscribed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mark McClain
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 9

B) just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mark aka Hunter Green, a former On-Air RADIO name, as I was in broadcasting from 77′ to 05″ !!!! I have been sharpening knives for about 40-years on and off and tomorrow my new Wicked Edge arrives in the mail. I got the Pro-Pak 2, and am excited about this system. Clay dear Sir, congrats on a great invention. I sharpen by hand using Japanese WaterStones for the public and have my own business. However, I’ve found there are several people out there that want the Wicked Edge on their knives, so therefore I have added it to my list of options. I feel it will not only provide more service choices, but will also help me when I need to speed up the amount of knives I sharpen to keep from getting backed up, and this system will still give me the “Mirrored Edges” that my company’s namesake has become famous for. “Mirrored-Edges” says thanks to you Clay for a great hit out of the ballpark.
    Mark

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Happy to have you here Mark! You have just purchased the great Pro Pack II and you will love it. All the best cranking out super sharp, mirror-polished :ohmy: edges for your customers. They will be very happy with the keen edges they receive.

Best regards
    Leo

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I think you are absolutely correct to include the WE in your services I too like using Japanese bench stones but certain knives are best done with the WE I think they fall into 2 categories cheap chef knives and expensive folders since an expensive folder is likely to be owned by a knife connoisseur who would be upset if there was not perfect symmetry or any slight scratches above the bevel this is where the WE wins through.
    I also think once Clay releases the DMT plates and 3m diamond films for sharpening ceramic knives this will offer the very best tool for sharpening ceramics quickly and effectively .
    Another exciting release to come will be a scissor attachment and the SWATS which allow for quick adjustment between stone changes particularly when changing from diamond to ceramics or to Choseras.
    Be aware that it is possible to convex a bevel by combining stepped bevels by stropping .

Leo Nav

Mark McClain
    Participant

Hey Leo, so tell me ur opinion,,, “”Kangaroo or Balsa strops in addition to my already purchased leather 3.5 microns ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leo Barr
    Participant

For my own part I tend to use a razor strop with jewellers rouge on one side and CBN spray 0.25ร‚ยต on the other side and a piece of balsa wood stuck to a floor tile with the CBN spray on it as well.
    Leo Nav

Mark McClain
    Participant

I have a barbers razor strop I use for aligning the edges, before it I normally use my two sided leather coated with substrates of .50 microns of Green Chromium Oxide, then go to the .10 red side of Iron Oxide paste. I also have a smaller size horse leather strop. But I am referring to with my Wicked Edge. If I were going to invest, and could only afford one of the two, which would be the better choice ? Go with the selection of Balsa or the Kangaroo strops ? I’ve also got the leather that comes with the pro package. Thanks so much,
    Mark :))

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum! I think you’ll be very happy with the edges from your WE. And please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions. Lots of fun!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mark McClain
    Participant

Thanks Mark76′. I have a barbers razor strop I use for aligning the edges, before it I normally use my two sided leather coated with substrates of .50 microns of Green Chromium Oxide, then go to the .10 red side of Iron Oxide paste. I also have a smaller size horse leather strop. But I am referring to with my Wicked Edge. If I were going to invest, and could only afford one of the two, which would be the better choice ? Go with the selection of Balsa or the Kangaroo strops ? I’ve also got the leather that comes with the pro package. Thanks so much,

Mark ๐Ÿ™‚

Leo Barr
    Participant

I use the standard strops that came with the pro pack if I was to get other strops I would possible look at the nano cloth strops .
    I do not do a lot of stropping just enough to remove a burr . Many others on this forum do and I am certain you will get plenty of advice as to what is the most favoured type of strop.

Leo Nav

Mark McClain
    Participant

Thanks Leo. So much

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

For some reason I just can’t seem to get the same edge on a straight razor as I do on kangaroo strops. That’s How I finish all my razors, on kangaroo with .125 cbn and they come out pretty nice ๐Ÿ™‚ the balsa seems to be for larger micron sprays & pastes… It didn’t work well for me on the sub micron level as I believe the pores in the balsa are larger than a micron and the abrasives get “lost”

Josh

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

BTW Mark, further to your PM…I am really a LEO as my birthday is the 30th of July. LOL! Golly, how Leo can you get?!!!?

Leo the Mod ๐Ÿ˜‰

Leo Barr
    Participant

Hey Leo mine is July 25th .

Leo Nav

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Hey Leo mine is July 25th .

Leo Nav

Wow! That is scary! We are both Leo Leos, magnitude one Leos! ๐Ÿ˜†

Leo the elder ๐Ÿ˜›

John Haley
    Participant
    • Replies: 32

In my very limited experience using the WE PP2 (diamonds to 1K and a Choseras up to 10K), I’ve found the Roo strops excellent. I use a 1ร‚ยต and .125ร‚ยต combination of CBN sprays to finish most blades.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.