Advanced Search

Hello all, could use a little help please

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hello all, could use a little help please

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Cody Jordan
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 5

Hey guys, and gals.I would like to introduce my self since Im new to the forum. My name is Cody and I live in central Louisiana. Im new to the Wicked Edge, but not new to sharpening. I have been reading about this system for a while now, and have finanly deceide to get a pro pack II after reading all the great reviews on it. I received my WE about four days ago, and have only had time to mess with a couple of knives. So far I have not got them as sharp as I want them, but…. It is a new system, and new to me so “as I have read” there is a little bit of a learning curve, no big deal tho, I’ll get it figured out. I do need a little help understanding something, and Im sure it has been asked on here several times, so Im sorry for beating a dead horse. I was going to try it out on my edc last night, which is a Case trapper. At first I was having problem getting both sides of the vise to close evenly, but messed with it long enough to get them to close somewhat evenly “dont remember excatly what I did to make that happen” anywho I was going to sharpen each side at 25deg, while setting the arms up, I noticed the paddles was hitting some of the vise. Well one side was touching the vise, the other side had about a 32nd clearence. I was using the top holes to get the blade out of the vise a little more, but I could not get it set to where the stones would clear the vise on both sides. Sorry about the long read, but I was wondering if some of yall might could help me try to figure my problem out? Again, Im sorry if Im beating a dead horse. Thanks for the great forum and for any help you might can give.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hi cjordan,

Welcome to Wicked Edge and our forum. The issues you’re having with Case are pretty easy to rectify. The first thing to address is that the blade is fully flat ground (FFG) and so it requires a little extra setup in the clamp to get it to sit vertically. A lot of people wrap the blade a little bit of chamois, drawer liner material or even paper towels. My favorite is to line the inside the jaws with Moleskin or double sided foam tape. Please take a look at this link about mounting a FFG blade: Mounting Fully Flat Ground Blades. The second thing to address is the width of the knife from its spine to its edge. The sharpener is calibrated to a blade that extends 5/8″ above the tops of the vise jaws. Narrow blades like your Case don’t sit up as high so you can’t hit the lower angles as easily. In those situations, I just mount the knife as high in the clamp as I can and sharpen from there. It works very well. You can probably align the nail groove on the blade with the top of the clamp as an index point so you can mount it repeatably each time you sharpen. I hope that’s helpful. Please share your results after trying these techniques.

–Clay

-Clay

Cody Jordan
    Participant

Thanks Mr.Clay. I have been using the search function, just not having a whole lot of luck with it just yet. What is the tape for? Is it so the jaws can get a good grip on the tappered blade? Sorry if this seems like a crazy question. Thanks

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Sort of. Because the blade is tapered and the vice jaws are straight, the tape/chamois/leather/paper towels help fill in the space between the straight vice jaws and the tapering blade.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

maybe this will help? I have indexed each point at the beginning so you can skip to where you want. the knife in this video is full flat ground too…

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

To be clear, there are two reasons to use a liner material between your knife blade and the jaw faces.

First is to provide a more secure grip on the blade where the shape of the blade does not allow for a solid mount. Especially hard blades may prevent the establishment of a “bite” between the jaw faces and the blade.

Second is to protect the blade from clamping scars, wherein the jaws of the vise might scratch the finish on an otherwise fine blade, especially where the jaws must be set very tight to effect a secure clamping.

Cody Jordan
    Participant

Thanks for all the replies and help. I have picked up some double sided tape so I will try this when I get home this afternoon.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.