Advanced Search

Guardian4 S30V DLC Stonewash Mirror Edge

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Guardian4 S30V DLC Stonewash Mirror Edge

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    phil loder
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 6

I just got this knife from Brad and had to test out my new clamp arm with the Chosera Stones. I had read many complaints about the clamp with blades with angular spines slipping. I went another route and made a great fix using 1″ ram ball hardware. There was zero movement or blade angle changes during sharpening. Without the extra stability the Chosera’s are almost a waste. My knife handle moved down to almost vertical when clamped without the mod. as the following picture shows the blade never moved any measurable amount during the entire 90 minute sharpening exercise. The edge is a absolute mirror and scary sharp using the 3 finger test and pops a hanging hair. I wouldn’t have thought a 4″ Camp knife could get so crazy sharp.

Sent from my iPad using The Force!

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Now that is interesting… what is that clamp you have and where did you get it?!

Great job!! :whistle:

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Josh, that clamp looks like the RAP-B-400U I found on Amazon. It has a 1″ ball, so you’d need the double-socket arm which would accommodate it.

phil loder
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 6

Thanks Josh,
    The clamp is the Ram brand of mounts and holders. I also have a front ball mount with a Brass blade clamp I made for for flexible blades.
    You can see photos in the Mods section sticky “Show Me your Mods”
    The balls are 1″ with 3/8″ threads. the clamp riser was through drilled and tapped for the 3/8-16″ threads.
    I have several length arms based on the knife lengths. The setup pictured is listed below and is rock solid!
    Ram-B-201U-C 6″ Aluminum arm
    Rap-B-379U 1″ Tough Ball with 3/8″-16 threaded Stud
    Rap-B-400U Small tough Clamp with 1″ Ball Mount
    This setup cost around $90.00 “your mileage may vary”
    I have played with the mounts and found that the best setup for me was to clamp the knife as normal and adjust for equal vertical side angles on your blade.” ******NOTE*****some knives are not flat and will not be correct at a zero angle”
    Leave the Ram Arm tension loose and tighten the Ram Clamp on the handle.
    Snug up the Ram arm tension and recheck the blade angle then finish tightening the Ram Arm.

cjb80202
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 33

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by cjb80202.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.