Advanced Search

Greetings!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Greetings!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bruce
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 5

I’m new here–just signed up.   I need a quality guided knife-sharpening system.   My research quickly brought me to focus on WE, so here I am.   My mind is already >80% made up on buying a WE and which model as well, but this forum may help me refine my thinking and decision.   My knowledge and experience are thus far non-existent so I won’t be much of a forum participant, but I’ll be researching this forum extensively and absorbing all the knowledge and experience I can find here.   Cheers!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum, Bruce.  Did you read the Shopper’s and Buyer’s Guide, at the top on the “Recent” topics forum page.   I gave a breakdown of the high and low points of each model?  There is also a comprehensive table comparing features, technical specifications, options and prices.

Maybe you can share with the forum what features and qualities you’re wanting in your sharpener to help us to help you decide.  There are a lot of things to consider: price, portability, ease of use, what you will be sharpening are several.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Bruce
    Participant

Thanks for your thoughts.   I’ve already been through the Shoppers/Buyers Guide and I’m working my way through the forum.   I’ve also used the comparison function in the WE website extensively.   Portability isn’t of prime importance for me, but features are.   The range of available offerings so far points me toward the WE130–w/out base, as I already have the material to make a great base.   I think starting with the WE130 and adding other stones and accessories as time passes (and I figure out what I need) will be a conservative, “sensible shoes” kind of entry path for me.   Time will tell.   Anyhow, that’s my thinking today.   There’s no telling what I’ll be thinking tomorrow, but I have some time to refine my thinking.   I’ll be making my purchase somewhere around April of next year.   Who knows?   Gen 4 and the WE140 may be on the street by then!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

The WE130, IMO, is the best all around, model.  The only edge it cannot sharpen simply is a convex grind.  It can do it but it’s a slower process with more manual adjustments to get it done.  The WE130 accomplishes what other models can’t.  Maybe when you’re ready to buy, in April, there may be an option to purchase the Pro Pack III with-out the base.  It’s a very complete set-up with nothing really, extraneous.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Bruce
    Participant

My purchase plan hinges on the income tax refund that I’ll have by mid-April.   That refund will more than fund a WE130, but only a bit more than half the cost of a Pro-Pack III.   I wish I could gallop straight into a PPIII, but sensibility suggests that I would best resist the temptation of self-indulgence.   That being said, one of my credit cards may be overdue for a serious beating by April, so I’ll figure it out then.   Aside from that, I’ve got a rock-like, leftover 24” x 24” x 1” chunk of commercial HDPE board that just screams “I deserve to be the base for your new WE!”   Good thing I’ve got 4 months to figure it all out…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.