Advanced Search

Granite base

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I still use an IKEA cutting board as the base for my WEPS. It’d be far too expensive to import the granite WEPS bases. At least, so I thought.

Now the largest Dutch knife shop carries the granite WEPS bases. Link. Very expensive, so I’m not running out to get it, but still.

Is there anyone who can tell me whether this is the original base (it measures 305 mm x 255 mm) or something they produced locally? And can anyone tell me what this granite base weighs?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I can tell you it’s not from here… ours are measured in inches.   

I can tell you mine is 13 lbs. with the clamp attached, and measures 12″ x 10″ which Siri tells me is 304.8mm by 254mm… and 5.9 kg.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Well, it sure looks like a WE base, or a local copy.  The metric dimensions work out to 10 X 12 and if you pan over the photo you can see the offset mounting holes.  The second photo shows the same type of feet as supplied by WE.

The price is pretty high, for sure; part of that may be due to shipping costs?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

Granite countertops are popular all over the world.. Just find a Kitchen renovation shop, and have them cut you a piece of marble or granite. Another source would be a burial head stone business… I went to a local shop to get a piece of granite cut, to make a head stone for one of my deceased animals… they told me to look in the dumpster for a piece of marble or granite and they would clean it up and edge it.. I found a piece and they edged it nicely and did not charge me anything , they were animal lovers.

You can make a template from your WEP base and have them drill two holes.

Bill aka ET

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

Thanks, guys. I guess it is indeed so expensive because it is imported, Tom. I may want to go look for something local. On the other hand, my IKEA butcher block still works fine…

Gregg776
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 59

I personally use a slab of micarta but a a thick piece of Plexiglas or a sheet of steel would work just as well. Stick on feet should be available on your country or from fleabay.
    You could easily make a base out of concrete/mortar if you have access to some scrap wood and a saw to make a form. Pre-cut some wire mesh to make it strong and use some dowels, pencils or even disposable ball point pen barrels to pre-form the through holes. Some chopped fiberglass would make it even stronger as would some of the additive used for stucco patching. Use smooth packing tape on the edges to make it smooth and a piece of polyethylene (plastic bag material) on the bottom for a mold release. A drywall taping knife would do to smooth the top or even a metal kitchen spatula; don’t let your wife catch you. Just after it is poured, tap the edges and corners with a light hammer to settle any air bubbles out and lightly chop into the top surface to settle any large particles and smooth it out. You can get concrete dye, but almost any pigment for water based paint will color it if used in moderation; or you could paint it with epoxy paint after it has cured.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I can tell you it’s not from here… ours are measured in inches. I can tell you mine is 13 lbs. with the clamp attached, and measures 12″ x 10″ which Siri tells me is 304.8mm by 254mm… and 5.9 kg.

What?? Curtis is back?! Where you been bro? 😉

Granite bases just scream “high class” hehe. I will say that I can’t get used to anything other than the suction cup base I have been using for 3-4 years or so. I tried going back to the paperstone base but  just couldn’t get used to the lack of clearance underneath I’m so use to, and the versatility.

Mark, I can ship you something if you find it in the states =) lmk!

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks Josh! I know where to find you .

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I have been meaning to do this myself to get a heavier base for stropping.  If you go to a granite yard (what we call the place the US that custom cuts large slabs) you can find a small, scrap, piece that they would probably give you for free.  Then you would pay to have the edge finished.  All they need is the hole pattern.  You can get any size you like.  Larger for more weight.  I have thought about a triangle shape to have 3 points of contact to eliminate wobbling.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

No wobble if you put  a self stick felt pad on each corner.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.