Advanced Search

Glass plates or aluminum?

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Glass plates or aluminum?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ken vanderhamm
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 7

What is the best material for using with the diamond lapping film, glass or aluminum handles? Thanks in advance,

Ken

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

What is the best material for using with the Drummond lapping film, glass or aluminum handles? Thanks in advance,

Ken

I’ve settled on glass. And here’s why…

When talking about a surface structure meant to house some sort of static abrasive, flatness reigns supreme. I guess what really matter when in at all comes down to is that the surfaces always remain in perfect constant.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Theoretically, it’s glass, but I think aluminum works just as well. Just flatten ’em with a good set of sandpaper. A tiny bit of sharp edge on the glass will do a number on the face of a freshly ground side of a knife. I just made a set of six blocks with brass platens.

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Not to be all trying to show off, but to make a simple point…I tape lapping films directly onto 1000 grit paddles and get consistent results like this:

I believe its 20% materials and maybe 80% good technique?
    That being said I have glass & a cutter on the bench for a test set side project tomorrow. 😉

The fun for me is in learning and getting better as we go…scratches my mad scientist itch!

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

A tiny bit of sharp edge on the glass will do a number on the face of a freshly ground side of a knife.

Yes, thank you Tom. Very important detail worth bringing up. Be sure to deburr those stark edges just like you would on metal or wood.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.