Advanced Search

Gen III or Pro pack II

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Gen III or Pro pack II

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 37

Hi,

I’ve made a few posts before and basically at this point I just want my kitchen knives
    to have the best edge. Wicked edge that is.

Previous advice I received is 1000 grit will give a nice toothy razor sharp knife.

Pro pack II has the benefit of the continued development that has taken place at WE.
    I would like to see the Gen III as a follow on product with beneficial improvements.
    With there only being $50 of a difference, what are your thoughts on which product
    choice to make? I appreciate PP 2 has more stones and strops. Gen 3 has new vise clamp
    and looks quick to set up. Convenient angle adjustments quickly.

If there are any users of both systems or even your thoughts having only used the one,
    I would be interested to see where the community feels my money would be best spent.

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

PP2 is capable of wider angles, I think from 13 up to 35 degrees, whereas Gen 3 from 14 up to 27. Also available for PP2 is a low angle adapter that will not fit the Gen 3 (although it’s been stated that one is in the works). PP2 angle adjustments are independent, which can come in handy for certain items to sharpen, but since you’re only sharpening kitchen knives, that shouldn’t matter too much.

These are just a few differences that I’ve noticed between the two. Hope it helps a little for you to make a decision.

Alan

Andrew
    Participant

The angle thing I think is OK. These seem to fall within most recommended values for most kitchen knives.

PP2 being independent from right to left in terms of angle measurements probably offers more precise control.
    I think Gen 3 had some variation issues between right and left accuracy when the angle measurement was selected.
    I think this is corrected though. The fast clamping and quick angle selection would be good if accurate. Compared
    to the allen key adjustments with PP2.

Gen 3 being new possibly means there’s not enough user reviews. I know PP2 is good. Wicked sharp

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I don’t have a Gen 3. That being said.

If you want a faster setup and sharpening then Gen 3.

If you want the ability to precisely set any angle then PP II.

If I had a Gen 3 I would use the 1000 diamond for my kitchen knives and the PP II for my pocket knives. On my pocket knives I spend more time going after a mirror finish with water stones and/or strops.

I only have 4 kitchen knives and don’t cook a lot so they don’t dull that often. If you have a lot of knives to do the Gen 3 excels with speed and volume.

Andrew
    Participant

If you have a lot of knives to do the Gen 3 excels with speed and volume.

This probably fits my situation. Kitchen knives mainly with one pocket knife. The speed of set up and retouching
    appeals a lot.

The only thing I was keen to hear, is if the angles were consistent left to right. Obviously PP2 give you that individual extremely accurate control.

The gen 3 has the newer vise jaw which is quite a pricey upgrade if you add to the PP2. I know it has possibly a narrower
    maximum blade thickness. Might not suit all, but in fairness 3/16″ will accommodate my knives.

Montana Edge
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 62

You can dial in the gen 3 to perfectly equal bevels with fine adjust screws. I have both the gen 3 and the gen 2 and use both professionally. I sharpen most knives on the gen 3. The gen 2 is for thick knives and special cases. For your described use, you will be very happy with the gen 3. The ease of clamping and accurate angle adjust is worth the extra money in my opinion. It will last a very long time for you and when you start doing knives for friends and family (you will) it will handle the vast majority of requests.

Andrew
    Participant

You can dial in the gen 3 to perfectly equal bevels with fine adjust screws.

Thanks for your reply. I wasnt aware of the fine adjust which addresses the issue with equal bevels on both sides. This does make it an interesting unit for me.
    I most probably will never do thick knives.

Montana Edge
    Participant

After thorough breakin, you will find that 600 grit is plenty good for kitchen knives. You can play with bigger and better paddles later, but the basic gen 3 kit is all you’ll need for your application to start and get awesome knives. More is not always better….

Andrew
    Participant

Thats sounds reasonable advice.

Compared to the PP2, do you find the working height of the gen 3 comfortable. Naturally its a taller unit than the PP2.
    You see people resting on their elbows with PP2. I take it the gen 3 being taller perhaps requires a different seated position.

Point i’m leaning towards there, is, do you think PP2 or Gen 3 are more comfortable for prolonged sharpening sessions?

Cheers

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I can’t directly answer that question. (since I don’t have a Gen 3). I can say that you should adjust your working height for comfort. I use a PP II on a coffee table – low height and rest my elbows. I get uneven bevels sometimes, I think due to one arm resting differently.

Andrew
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. Yes the PP2 looks very much a coffee table easy stroke arrangement.

Its just that the Gen 3 looks taller. Any videos I’ve seen are really with Clay standing up using it.
    I wouldn’t want to sharpen standing up. When I look at the unit in relation to a person it seems as though,
    if you had it on a coffee table, the loaded knife edge would be a little uncomfortably high sharpening
    a lot of knives, as the knife sits higher than if it were in a PP2.

The only way round it would perhaps be to mount it without the stone holders. So just the top board
    as also appeared in a few prototype videos

Makes it a bit more PP2 height. Shame to leave the stone holders as they look handy, but add height

Montana Edge
    Participant

The gen 2 and gen 3 will require different table/chair height arrangements. Just the way it is. It all depends on how you want the blade in relation to your eyeballs. I use the same bench and stool for both gen 2 and gen 3. The gen 2 is just pushed forward toward the monitor out of the way most of the time. The height I’m working at is more relaxed for the gen 2, but my eyes seem so far above the blade now after cranking out so many knives on the gen 3, which is much closer. The only problem with the arrangement is that my elbows have to be held higher which strains the shoulders. I stretch them out often and focus on relaxing them often. It’s no big deal and can be managed. Someday when I’m not so busy, I may modify the gen 3 to sit a touch lower.

So I just grabbed the gen 3 and sat it on the coffee table and sat in a comfy arm chair…. Nice setup. Just right.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I also usually use my WEPS standing. I used to have a shoulder injury due to which it was painful to hold my arms high for a long time. That’s completely gone, fortunately, but I still like to use my arms low.

Geo, your position (leaning on your elbows) also sounds interesting. But I have a hard time visualizing it. Could tell a little more?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Andrew
    Participant

Thanks Guys.

I’m toying with possibly mounting it with just the top plate then. A bit like the 2nd prototype
    video. OK you lose the stone holder, but I think all the benefits of Gen 3 with convenience
    and comfort PP2 sounds appealing.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.