Advanced Search

Gen 3 vise and carrying case

Recent Forums Main Forum Gen 3 vise and carrying case

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jon J
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 6

I bought my pro pack 3 back in 2015 and along with it, I bought the carrying case with foam inserts inside. I then bought the upgraded gen 3 vise last fall but have yet to load it up and see if it will fit in my case. I am leaving out of town for work in a few weeks and would like to take my sharpener along to kill time in the motel. So, does anyone know if the gen 3 vise will fit in my case? If not, I guess I might try and sell it if anyone is interested? Thanks

Dale Wachholz
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 27

Jon, I wish I had an answer for you.  Somebody will come along with an answer.  I am in the same boat.  I want to purchase a gen-3 vise, and keep it mounted to the base and use my carry case.

What I may end up doing is get me a piece of granite, and put my gen-3 vice (yet to be ordered) on that second piece of granite.   That vice/base combo will likely never see my carry case, or see its way out of the shop.

Let us know what you find out.

Dale

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

If you call Wicked Edge they should be able to answer your question. I don’t have that model so I have no idea, but Wicked Edge has real people answer the phone and they are quite knowledgeable.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I bought my pro pack 3 back in 2015 and along with it, I bought the carrying case with foam inserts inside. I then bought the upgraded gen 3 vise last fall but have yet to load it up and see if it will fit in my case. I am leaving out of town for work in a few weeks and would like to take my sharpener along to kill time in the motel. So, does anyone know if the gen 3 vise will fit in my case? If not, I guess I might try and sell it if anyone is interested? Thanks

Jon – if you purchased the Pro-Pack 3, then the vise will fit. If you have the Pro-Pack 2 and are adding the Gen 3 Vise, then it won’t fit, it’ll be too tall.

-Clay

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Jon J
    Participant

Welp, there it is. And thank you Clay. Now, anyone interested in a carry case?

Dwight Glass
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 89

Jon J look again at what Clay said (If you purchased the Pro-Pack 3, then the vice will fit.) the end of 1st sentence. the next sentence dose not apply to you because you are not asking about a Pro-Pack 2. Clay is saying you do not need to sell your carrying case, your new vice will fit just fine in that case.

Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

Awhile back I was trying to sell a Propack 2 case for an office mate.  I think the Propack is designed to fit upside down with its base attached.  When the case was not selling so fast. . .  I looked it over again and realized that I could buy it from him and I could take a knife and custom cut the foam out and I could then  lay the unit on its side in the case. I have a 2016 Gen 3 Pro which I upgraded the vice to a 2018 WE3001 vice and I already had removed the shelves so it fits very easily into the space that I carved out some foam.

My kids love when I come over their house carrying my WE system to freshen up their knves!

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Jon J
    Participant

I need to clear up my 1st post, I said that I bought a gen 3 pro pack back in 2015. I was wrong, I bought the gen 2 pro pack, but I did upgrade the vise to the gen 3 late last year. So looking at Expidia’s photo he posted, it looks as if I lay my setup on its side, as opposed to putting it in upside down as I did with the original vise, and maybe cut the foam or order new blank foam, it might work. Now my question is, will the granite base be to tall on its side. If so, maybe I could get one a little smaller made around here in Oklahoma to make it work along with new foam. I’m just trying to find some solution so that I can bring my WE on my travels because sitting in the motel for 1-2 days waiting on the railroad to deliver my equipment is so extremely boring and would love to spend that time sharpening. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Jon J,  That vise/setup in expidia’s case is the Gen 3 Pro.  It is not the WE120, (in the Pro Pack II), upgraded with the Gen 3 vise, like you said you have.

The Gen 3 Vise upgrade you’re now using, I don’t believe is any taller then the original Standard Vise that came with your Pro Pack II.  So if the original PP2 fit upside down in your case with the granite base.  Then with trimming the foam for the new wider Gen 3 Vise, I believe it may also fit the same upside down orientation in your case.  But, I may be wrong!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.