Advanced Search

Gen 3 Angles Equal?

Recent Forums Main Forum Gen 3 Angles Equal?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    jimbo45
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 39

I actually like the GenIII unit, but saw no way to adjust one side over the other. Maybe I missed something. but if I wanted to put 20 degrees on one side and 15 on the other, I don’t think I could do that withy the Gen III. the Gen III is 50 dollars cheaper than the Pro Pac II , I love the mechanics of the Gen III, on another note, Ive looking at some sort of condom to protect the ball joints from contamination.. Ill figure something out. ( Ive yet to receive my ProII system ) but have been looking at ways to make it even better ( the mind of a Born Engineer. ) right now IM looking at cutting the shaft off a balloon and a micro zip tie on both ends, to protect the ball joints. Ill post a picture when I get my Pro Pack II, if anyone is interested.

I use the fingers off of latex gloves to protect the ball joints, just snip them off and the let the arm poke through and you have a nice snug fit.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I hope you figured out your issue with the Gen 3.. If you talked to Kyle again I’m sure you did because I had the same problem and he told me how to fix it. But since I didn’t see it answered here I thought I should put it out there. The Gen 3 has two hex bolts on each rod arm at the base. Not the micro adjustment that can be done on each arm and tightened with the thumb screw. These two are side by side and at the base of the arm. You have to turn the angle out to 27+ to expose them. They face you on the left side and are facing away on the right side. If you loosen these two hex bolts the entire arm has about a 2 degree play. Use an angle cube to get it right.

This is what we do in-house to calibrate the systems before we send them out. They shouldn’t ever have more than 0.50 degrees difference from the stated angle AND between the two sides i.e. if the system is set to 20 dps and one side reads 19.75 it’s within spec but only if the other side is no more than 0.50 different such that if it were 20.30, then the overall machine is out of spec even though both sides are individually within spec. They’re all checked to this standard when they leave our Vermont facility and then we check them again here in Santa Fe. They come with a spreadsheet and the units are listed by serial number with the measurements that were taken in VT. Often the the vibration from shipping can cause a slight change in angle so that our measurements don’t match what’s on the spreadsheet. In those cases we re-calibrate the machine before packaging them up for sale.

-Clay

1 user thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Gary,

Did you ever get your situation resolved? If not, please give us a call so we can help. (877-616-9911)

–Clay

-Clay

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

I hope you figured out your issue with the Gen 3.. If you talked to Kyle again I’m sure you did because I had the same problem and he told me how to fix it. But since I didn’t see it answered here I thought I should put it out there. The Gen 3 has two hex bolts on each rod arm at the base. Not the micro adjustment that can be done on each arm and tightened with the thumb screw. These two are side by side and at the base of the arm. You have to turn the angle out to 27+ to expose them. They face you on the left side and are facing away on the right side. If you loosen these two hex bolts the entire arm has about a 2 degree play. Use an angle cube to get it right.

Great information to know for us Gen 3 Pro owners.  Perhaps I’ve been fortunate in that my Gen 3 Pro has spot-on side to side accuracy.  But if ever I find it to be out somewhat, now I know how to correct/calibrate it myself.  Thanks for the info!

Alan

Gary
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 16

Well, I have had to re-calibrate my newest Gen 3 settings. I followed the procedure above and got pretty close but somehow when I got one side set correctly, the other side was a bit off. I will keep working at it. The discrepancy lies in the greater than .50 degrees variance of the settings between the two arms. Apparently the shipping loosened the set_nuts. On the first few knives measured, it was within spec, then it began to vary outside specs. I know that this machine is a dream machine when set and working as it should. I love it and will get it right soon. By the way, I currently have: 1) the Gen 2 Pro without modifications, 2) the Gen 2 Pro with upgraded arms and Gen 3 vise, and 3) the Gen 3 Pro complete system. Yep, I am a nut! But I use all 3 as they are set up for different type blades and I’m crazy about tools and gadgets.
    Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.