Advanced Search

Gen 3 Angles Equal?

Recent Forums Main Forum Gen 3 Angles Equal?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Gary
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 16

Guys, I recently bought a Gen 3 WE and love it. There was a slight problem however: the readings off the Angle Cube varied from the settings on the Gen 3 by as much as 2 degrees measured on a blade 5/8′ above the jaws. I spoke with Kyle at WE and he quickly asked me to send it back and shipped me another one immediately. On the first knife placed in the new one, the variation was within tolerance (.50″). Then trying it at other angles and on other blades, I noticed the angle cube readings were nearly 2.0 degrees variation from left to right and not agreeing with the setting on the WE Gen 3. I have measured the 5/8″ above the jaws with calipers, used 2 different Angle Cubes, and several different blades just to make sure I was not doing something stupid (which is very possible), but I still get readings that vary too much from the reading on the dial of the Gen 3.
    Has anyone else had this problem with their new Gen 3? I love the idea of the Gen 3 and how it works. I have the Gen 2 also, and the upgraded Gen 3 Adapter for it. But it was this “dial it in and sharpen it” feature of the new Gen 3 Pro that I liked.
    I will check back in with the crew at WE tomorrow if they are open. Just fishing for some help in the meantime. Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
    Gary

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

If I understand correctly, you are saying that the degree bar at the base does not agree with the angle cube measurement? If that is what you are saying, then I suspect that you are using the pro pack II riser mount under the gen III vise which you need to remove and seat directly on the blue WE base to get accurate and equal measurements…

Gary
    Participant

No, this is a completely new WE Gen 3 Pro Pack complete. I have in addition to it the Gen 2 Pro Pack complete with the upgrader riser and arms. Two totally separate units. The Gen 3 Pro Pack is complete as from WE and this is what was giving me incorrect readings on my first one which was returned and now the one sent to replace it is doing the same thing.
    I know this seems like I am a dummy or something, but the risers and arms are not mixed up. Two separate units.
    Thanks for your answer. Ive learned so much from your Youtube videos. This has me really frustrated though. If the settings on the Gen 3 Pro are not reliably giving the correct angles, that defeats the purpose for which it was made it seems.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

This is the reason I chose not to buy the GenIII system… the angles are ” cam ” activated, with the single  front lever. there is no individual left or right side adjustment, and no micro adjustment. when you slide the cam lever to 15 degrees, it moves both arms via a single cam system to 15 degrees. I opted for the Pro Pak II  because of the flexibility of left an right angle individual adjustment, and individual micro adjustments.  I have never owned a Gen III , but in all my research, I could not find any reference to micro adjustments or individual left an right hand adjustment. Some factory blade angles are not the same on both sides. I saw a video of a Factory blade that was 16 degrees on one side and 15 degrees on the other ( by design ) I don’t think you can do that with the Gen III system with single came lever. AS a retired engineer, I do a lot of research before I buy anything… from my research, there is nothing better on the market than a wicked edge system,,,, Incidentally.. IM also a retired Military disabled Veteran. AS a Company, Wicked edge recognizes my service to our country with a very nice Military discount… ( military discount= those who are active duty with an active duty DOD identification card, or a Blue Retired military card with the new DOD serial number with hologram ) .

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Gary
    Participant

Thanks ET, but the Gen 3 does provide micro adjustment on the individual arms. The problem I have is that the left side is maxed out at its lowest setting, so in order to micro adjust and make the arms equal the reading on the angle indicator, all the adjustments must be made on the right side.
    Ive gotta be missing something here, right?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I actually like the GenIII unit, but saw no way to adjust one side over the other.  Maybe I missed something. but if I wanted to put 20 degrees on one side and 15 on the other, I don’t think I could do that withy the Gen III. the Gen III is 50 dollars cheaper than the Pro Pac II , I love the mechanics of the Gen III,  on another note, Ive looking at some sort of condom to protect the ball joints from contamination.. Ill figure something out. ( Ive yet to receive my ProII system ) but have been looking at ways to make it even better ( the mind of a Born Engineer. ) right now IM looking at cutting the shaft off a balloon and a micro zip tie on both ends, to protect the ball joints. Ill post a picture when I get my Pro Pack II, if anyone is interested.

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Hey Gary,

Sorry to hear of your probs with Gen 3 Pro.  Perhaps you’ve watched my video on side to side variance check.  Why do you have the left side micro adjust set to it’s lowest  setting?  Here’s what I would try.  Turn both micro adjusts so that they are all the way out, that is, turn hex key counter-clockwise until the micro adjust nut meets the arm. Use a flat blade measured at 5/8 inch above vice.  Set lever to 20 degrees.   Check both sides with same stone.  See what you have and let us know.

Remember, if your blade is not exactly 5/8 inch above vice (most knives won’t be), the lever will be off somewhat.  I have a LAA, and when I use it, the lever is way off.  That’s okay, though, as long as you have an angle cube, you’re all good.  Side to side accuracy is more important, IMHO. I hope this helps you some.

Alan

Alan
    Participant

Hey, EvilTwin,

You are correct about the Gen 3 Pro not being able to independently adjust each arm, aside from about a 2 degree variance in the micro-adjusts.  So in this respect, the Gen 2 is more versatile.  But the Gen 3 Pro is an excellent machine, and I just love mine.

I’m veteran also, thanks for your service, brother.

Alan

Alan

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would have bought the Gen III in a heart beat, but for the lack of flexibility that the Pro II offers. The one thing I do not want to do is bad mouth the Gen III. I would have to look at the actual cam system to figure a way to revision it to ” fix ” this concern. As a retired engineer ( automotive ) design for General Motors.. my last project before retiring was the C5 Corvette Platform with 7 designs in every Corvette on the planet.

Gary
    Participant

Alan, thanks for your suggestion. I’m having a little difficulty describing the situation. Here is the setup now: both micro adjust arms are screwed in and tight against the post into which they fit. Placing a straight edge in the jaws of the clamp exactly 5/8″ above the jaws, with the angle degree dial set on 24 degrees. The right side measures 24.15 degrees while the left side measures 22.20 degrees on two different Angle Cubes. As many blades or knives as I place in the clamp, all 5/8″ above the jaws, I still get the same unequal readings. The right side will be within acceptable tolerances and the left side will be from 1.00 to 2.0+ degrees off. On the first set which I returned, the opposite was the case: the left side was correct and the right side was out of spec.
    Anyone who can help me see that I am going about this in the wrong way, please chime in. I am wide open to suggestions. Thanks for your help. I love this system…if I can just make it work right!

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Ahhh gotcha Gary. Yeah that’s the reason I went with the gen III upgrade vs the entire gen III system. So now I have the pp2 upgraded arms, individual broad and micro adjustment, and the gen III vise.

You may want to just see if you can trade in for the same…sorry you are having all the trouble!

So are you using tape on the blades or not? I have noticed on mine a consistent canting of the blade with the edge going to the right… on the gen 1 and 2 vise the edge would consistently cant to the left. It’s only a degree or so though, which I can adjust for anyway. If you use tape and you are using blades that are somewhat thinner, you can force the blade to cant/tilt in the vise, so you maybe could just set up blade a little differently so it’s even? Not sure.

Gary
    Participant

I haven’t tried using tape to compensate for the blade lean since it was mind understanding that the Gen 3 jaws were designed to eliminate this issue. Ill try it and see if it makes a difference. The weird thing is that the one I returned to WE had the right side angel off, and on this one the left side angle is off. Kyle mentioned that they would calibrate this one before sending it out, but I haven’t talked to him since I received it and discovered the problem. The tolerances are supposed to be within .50 degrees between each arm reading from the Angle Cube and also with the dial on the Gen 3 angle setting.
    I will be one the phone Monday with WE to see if I can find out how to “calibrate” this thing.
    Thanks for your suggestion about the tape. I will try it, but really think this Gen was designed to make that not necessary.

Alan
    Participant

Hey Gary,

I do agree with Josh and think to try tape is a good idea.  Sounds as though everything else you’re doing is correct.  I’ve sharpened many knives since I received my Gen 3 Pro, and mostly without using tape, mostly kitchen knives.  I use an angle cube on every knife.  My side to side accuracy is almost always spot on.  I know on some knives I’ve noticed a difference of 0.05 or even 0.10 degree or so, but I don’t sweat that or even use the micro adjusts to correct such small differences.  That’s just me.  I did use the micro adjust on one knife I remember 0.30 degrees off to even things out.

Like you stated, I think this gen 3 vice is supposed to pretty much eliminate any leaning of the blade.

I think if you can get your Gen 3 Pro calibrated, you’d love it.  It is nice to just set your degree setting, clamp knife in, check sides with angle cube, and start sharpening.  Of course if your blade is not 5/8″ above jaws, then you re-adjust degree lever and watch angle cube, same as on the gen 2 system. Then for the micro bevel, just re-position the degree lever again, a few more light strokes and you’re good to go. Very convenient.

If there is a way to “calibrate” these, I’d sure like to know, just in case I ever have any trouble.  If you look under the blue plate, there are a couple of hex bolts in there, maybe to make adjustments? Let us know, man.

Alan

Jdcooper79
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

I hope you figured out your issue with the Gen 3.. If you talked to Kyle again I’m sure you did because I had the same problem and he told me how to fix it.  But since I didn’t see it answered here I thought I should put it out there.  The Gen 3 has two hex bolts on each rod arm at the base.  Not the micro adjustment that can be done on each arm and tightened with the thumb screw.  These two are side by side and at the base of the arm.  You have to turn the angle out to 27+ to expose them.  They face you on the left side and are facing away on the right side.  If you loosen these two hex bolts the entire arm has about a 2 degree play.  Use an angle cube to get it right.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I hope you figured out your issue with the Gen 3.. If you talked to Kyle again I’m sure you did because I had the same problem and he told me how to fix it. But since I didn’t see it answered here I thought I should put it out there. The Gen 3 has two hex bolts on each rod arm at the base. Not the micro adjustment that can be done on each arm and tightened with the thumb screw. These two are side by side and at the base of the arm. You have to turn the angle out to 27+ to expose them. They face you on the left side and are facing away on the right side. If you loosen these two hex bolts the entire arm has about a 2 degree play. Use an angle cube to get it right.

That information is critical and missing from the product description. I would have bought the Gen III unit but I did not see any way to correct for two different angles. on the same edge. I have several knives with this configuration.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.