Advanced Search

Forged in fire

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Forged in fire

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I wondered whether, after all of these cooking contests, what-can-you-do-with-a-car shows and tree house programs, they could make a knife making show.

Yes, they can. It’s even a contest.

From June 22 on History Channel. Enjoy! I’m curious.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

jimbo45
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 39

Interesting. I’ve been watching a guy on YouTube named chandler Dickinson that does some pretty cool stuff

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

In my search for the best Japanese knife makers I found them virtually the whole process done by hand not something that would win a speed competition but I think do produce the best results.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Thanks Leo – that’s a great video. I learned a lot about hand shaping these knives – some I never would have guessed. If you know how a shaper in a machine works, these guys do it the same way, but by hand!

As the video closed, they offer you a set of similar videos to watch. I watched this one and the fellow is using a wheel about 24″ in diameter. to hollow grind kitchen knives. To hold the blade firmly, it’s attached to a longer board, which he can hold well outboard of the blade. Good stuff.

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCtx8VYxUK4#t=97

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I am always surprised what can be done with metal either with stones, diamonds or harder metals I begun to learn how soft metals are when I first started working on super yachts and was told never to touch polished stainless steel with scotch pads when washing the boats down they scratch it easily. Seeing these guys thin & profile knives with gouges & scrappers is most illuminating since most Japanese blade smiths use large water wheels .It i˚s something to think about that once the forging & tempering is done there is no more heat generated on these knives. 100˚C is enough heat to start de tempering the steel (which is another reason knives should not go in a dishwasher)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Is this the one, Tom? It’s impressive!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

I’ve spent several enjoyable hours watching this guys tutorials on how to make knives. Very clear step by step instructions with a nice dose of humor sprinkled in:

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Is this the one, Tom? It’s impressive!

Yup! that’s the one I watched. Amazing how the fellow seems to casually slap the knife down onto the wheel without so much as a split second of careful re-alignment. Lots of years of practice, no doubt.

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

In my search for the best Japanese knife makers I found them virtually the whole process done by hand not something that would win a speed competition but I think do produce the best results.

https://youtu.be/zNPc6xBBiLk%5B/quote%5D

Thank you for the vid!

It is gratifying to share with those not into instant gratification!

I especially enjoyed the final touch of master’s free hand, using the corner of chisel to cast his kanji.

Right on!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.