Advanced Search

Fitting My Shapton Pro’s to WEPS

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Colby Webre
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 10

When I go back tomorrow I’ll discuss the price of cutting the stones in half. this would yield me 6 (!) 143mm x 23mm x 7 mm out of each stone!

Im going to use gorilla glue epoxy instead of standard gorilla glue. It shouldn’t have that massive expansion factor.

I think longer rods are on my ASAP list. Knives such as my scimitar. I want to create and edge that tapers from the hilt to the tip of the blade without having to unclamp it.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Im going to use gorilla glue epoxy instead of standard gorilla glue. It shouldn’t have that massive expansion factor.

I’ve glued stones (not Shaptons, but I don’t think it would be different) to aluminum blanks with 3M 77 spray… never had an issue.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Interesting..
    I tried to use old 77 for gluing leather to wood for bench strops. I had all kinds of problems with edges lifting. I ended up using the original Barge cement. No problems. I didn’t even think to try it on the stones, Part of the problem, I think, was the abrasives that I used on the strops… some oil based, some water based. It gave me pause for using it on water stones.

Sure would be lots easier that the Gorilla glue to work with. I have never tried the Gorilla Epoxy on anything.

cbwx34
    Participant

Interesting..
    I tried to use old 77 for gluing leather to wood for bench strops. I had all kinds of problems with edges lifting. I ended up using the original Barge cement. No problems. I didn’t even think to try it on the stones, Part of the problem, I think, was the abrasives that I used on the strops… some oil based, some water based. It gave me pause for using it on water stones.

Sure would be lots easier that the Gorilla glue to work with. I have never tried the Gorilla Epoxy on anything.

I’ve used it on stones I’ve subsequently soaked in a tub of water (many times)… so I don’t think water is an issue. No idea about oil stones.

Totally unrelated… but I bought a bottle of Gorilla Glue a while back (I guess longer than I thought), and was going to try it on something the other day… opened a brand new bottle… cut the tip off, and found the entire bottle was dried out. :angry:

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

I had two unopened bottles… one solid as a rock, the other still OK.
    They tell you to squeeze all of the air out of the bottle before storing it..
    BUT, there is air in the bottle as it sits on the shelf waiting for you to buy it..

The bottle that was still good, I squeezed all of the air out and put it in the freezer…
    Lets see how long it lasts…

Oil based slurries applied to leather made the 77 release. I doubt we would soak any of the stones we use on the WEPS in oil. I will try the #M 77 next time I need to glue stones…

BTW Curtis, did you glue these stones to the stock WEPS paddles with plastic platens?

cbwx34
    Participant

I had two unopened bottles… one solid as a rock, the other still OK.

…..

BTW Curtis, did you glue these stones to the stock WEPS paddles with plastic platens?

Interesting about the glue… I thought maybe I just got a bad bottle, or let it sit too long. (Well I guess the 2nd part is true… although I didn’t expect that from a never opened bottle.)

Didn’t glue stones to the WEPS, this was just stones to aluminum… but I recently tried 3M 77 spray regluing the leather to the WEPS paddles. First try didn’t take, but I think I went too light. 2nd try, so far so good… but it’s only been a few weeks.

Ken Schwartz
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 90

In addition to the Choceras, I have Shapton Pros in all grits 120 to 30,000 available for the Wicked Edge. I also have natural stones of various sorts as well as other stones and will soon be coming out with Nubatama stones for the Wicked edge. Just send me a PM or contact me directly at ksskss @ earthlink.net

Ken

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.