Advanced Search

First posting here

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat First posting here

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Colin Povey
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 1

Greetings.

Just got a WE for my birthday. I had been using an Edge Pro Apex, which is OK, and has a few advantages over a WE (an EdgePro can sharpen ANY length knife), but the WE is faster, easier, and more accurate for 98% of them.

I have been sharpening knives for many, many years, from my camping days as an Eagle scout, to my work in kitchens, to glassblowers knives (which are sharpened at 90 degrees-they are rectangular pieces of Tungsten Carbide).

I mounted my WE on a round block of wood, 15″ in diameter-think bar stool top, that I coated with several coats of polyurethane, then put some slip-resistant pads on the bottom. The block of wood is made up from several pieces of wood, so is unlikely to warp. So far, so good, and it was inexpensive (about $15 form Home Depot, mail order only, not carried in stores). I have not yet done it, but am plamning on putting an eye-hook into one edge, so that I can hang the board/vise up, out of the way.

I am a pro cook, and after sharpening my first knives to 1600, I find they are too smooth, too polished for most applications. Just like bread knives are serrated for a reason, i think that 1600 is too smooth for most chef knife use.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to a good starting (err, I mean stopping?) point for 8-10″ chef knives? I will continue to 1600 for some of my knives, like paring knives, but feel that I need to stop earlier for chef knives, filet knives, etc. I have the following stones: 100, 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1600. I am thinking that 600 or 800 might be best, but was hoping someone has already done a lot of tinkering on this! I am using 20 degrees as my sharpening angle.

Thanks in advance.

Colin

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Welcome!! Follow us down the rabbit hole of sharpening! :silly:

I was taking all my knives up through stropping in the beginning too. They get amazing sharp!..But only amazin sharp and practical if you are going to shave with them lol.

Now, If I want to have a pretty polished edge, I will take the primary all the way thorough the mirror stage and finish off the knife by putting an 800 or 1K micro bevel on it and leave it. This gives it that nice toothy edge but is sharp.

I have done all of my edges to 1K diamond and stopped. But now that my 1K is getting nice and broken in, I will be stopping at 800 toothy edge and then some very light passes with a ceramic to further polish and refine the teeth but not to remove them.

To enhance cutting ability you will see a lot of folks taking their primary bevel down to 15dps and polish it a bit, then throw on a 20-22 dps micro bevel on it and leave it toothy. The thinner the bade is the better it will cut…to a degree..depending on the steel and what you are cutting, So that will usually help to determine how low to go on the primary bevel.

On most of my kitchen knifes I just do 17dps and stop at the 1K stone. They work well that way for me.

Does that make some sense?

I did a fun experiment with some guys at work. I sharpened one blade razor sharp so it would whittle hair, all the way through strops.
    The other blade could not whittle hair but I stopped at the 1K and it was sharp. Everyone said the blade that I stopped at the 1K stone was sharper..then I would pull out a wisker and show them they were wrong!

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Welcome to the forum Colin…cant think of anything to add to what Eric already said as I do almost the same thing verbatim. 😛

My hunter buddies just picked up their freshly sharpened set and they swear the 600grit finish(well worn stones) are sharper to them then the hair shaving, paper slicing, smooth edge. :silly:

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

All good input from Cliff and Eric. I had a similar epiphany when my “slicker than snail snot” sharpening job got a thumbs-down in the kitchen. Boy did they suck. We’ve got a few professional chefs on the forum here who will all opine, I am sure.

So far, my best effort has been a convex polished to the nines and then topped off with about three very light strokes of the 1000 on each side of the edge at 20 dps. And yes, some guys think 800 is better.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.