Advanced Search

First Post

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat First Post

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jon J
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 6

Hey guys. Like all newbies here, I’ve followed along here for over a year now. I purchased a pro pack 2 last February and added the a whole bunch accessories with it. You all have helped me along the way tremendously, as well as the YouTube videos, but I started a new job this past July, working for my grandfathers heavy haul trucking company and so I haven’t sharpened anything since June. I just got my first Calavera Cutlery “El Patron” as a Christmas present from the wife and fell in love with it so much that I have since spent all the gift money I got for Christmas and bought 2 more. One was used and even though it wasn’t mentioned in the add, when I received it, I noticed a small nick in the heel of the blade. So what better time to knock the dust off my WEPP and take care of that. But I was just curious if any of you have ever sharpened one of these and if so, what angle did you use, because just looking at the blade with the acid wash on it, there is a very very small amount of shiny steel that you see, suggesting to me that when Mr Robertson makes these, he sharpenes them a quite a high angle. Any advice and or tips would be greatly appreciated. And keep up with all the posting guys. Thanks

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I looked at it at the Calavera site.  Looks like a really nice knife. If you want to duplicate the maker’s angles, you should contact them directly.

The photos show a very narrow bevel as you described, but this doesn’t mean it’s a very obtuse angle.  It depends on the grind; how thin is the blade at the shoulder of the bevels?  FWIW, few owners try to maintain the factory angle.  We choose an angle consistent with how we intend to use the knife.  For fine work, we may choose a more acute angle; for heavy use, more obtuse.  When you settle on an angle and finish the sharpening, you can add it to the knife database here on the WE site.

Picture

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

Welcome from South Eastern PA.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum, Jon! Enjoy your WEPS.

I think Tom already gave you good advice. But if you want to use the manufacturer angle and have a little bit of an idea what it might be, you can check with a Sharpie and your finest stones.

I also looked up the Calavera (nice knife!). It’s 60 HRC, which is pretty hard for a pocket knife, so I’d guess it can handle anything up from 15 degrees.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Jon J
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 6

Thanks guys. I sent Jeremy Robertson, the owner and sole maker of Calavera Cutlery knives an email about is angle and he told me he does his at 20 degrees. Thank you again for your input and the welcomes.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

Welcome Jon. From an Old guy in South Eastern Pa

Gary
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 16

From one relatively new guy to another, “welcome” to the forum. You can learn some serious stuff about getting the ultimate sharpness in a blade here. These guys are a living encyclopedia of Wicked Edge sharpening strategies,

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.