Advanced Search

Finally

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Finally

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    AK Jim
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 15

Just needed to throw this out there to make sure I’m not missing something, Bare with me Yoda’s I’m a newbie to sharpening. I think the light bulb finnaly turned on. You don’t have to work so hard to create a burr (over sharpen) be patient as it happens fast and you will keep recreating that burr and cause headaches of uneveven bevels correct? Like stay even on the strokes per side until it feels semi sharp then create the burr and the rest is just polish!

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Using a burr to detect if you’re at the apex is all well and good, but if it’s your only tool, you must remember to produce the burr along the entire edge. If you use alternating strokes, detecting a burr might be difficult, so I suggest stoning one side at a time. And burrs won’t tell you if there are microscopic defects along the edge, which is why most of us use loupes or microscopes.

I suggest using a loupe or microscope to identify defects at the beginning and then stay with your lowest apex grit (I usually use 400’s) until they’re all eliminated. After that, you can proceed confidently.

Avoiding uneven bevels is really just a matter of using roughly an equal number of strokes on both sides, especially for the coarser grits. I find that most knives that come to me already have uneven bevels. A customer with a high-end knife and high-end expectations will expect you to equalize the bevels, If I’m sharpening a knife which is part of a guy’s collection, I assume that equal bevels is part of the job, but for most customers’ working knives, it’s not a real concern. . That’s not to say that it isn’t good practice to count your strokes, because it is.

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

First off congratulations, it sounds like you did something right enough to be happy about it. Nothing like that first time “I did it!”.

In short I Agee with Tom 100%, get a magnification device. My goto 40x pocket scope cost $4 & I use it every day.

First thing I do is use the sharpie so when profiling & apexing I can clearly see if the bevels match side to side and if I’m hitting the apex.

The sharpie & magnification are your friends… Problems & damage I could have sworn were not there can’t hide anymore.

To burr or not to burr is a whole nother thread and worth the read but in the meantime you are correct, once you have hit the apex along the entire edge you just progress on thru the finer grits, again using magnification to check you have removed previous grit sanding marks completely…until you are satisfied, run out of grits, or can’t see down that low. Rinse & repeat 🙂

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

First off congratulations, it sounds like you did something right enough to be happy about it. Nothing like that first time “I did it!”.

In short I Agee with Tom 100%, get a magnification device. My goto 40x pocket scope cost $4 & I use it every day.

First thing I do is use the sharpie so when profiling & apexing I can clearly see if the bevels match side to side and if I’m hitting the apex.

The sharpie & magnification are your friends… Problems & damage I could have sworn were not there can’t hide anymore.

To burr or not to burr is a whole nother thread and worth the read but in the meantime you are correct, once you have hit the apex along the entire edge you just progress on thru the finer grits, again using magnification to check you have removed previous grit sanding marks completely…until you are satisfied, run out of grits, or can’t see down that low. Rinse & repeat 🙂

I agree as well! The only thing I will add is that normally i do not use any type of magnification… the reason for this is because i destress my edge by running the stone 90* perpendicular into the edge and creating a flat along the entire edge to get to the bottom of any deformation/nicks. Then i know i have a fresh edge to work from. I verify this by looking at the edge under bright light and making sure there is consistent reflection along the entire edge, and also feeling the edge with my fingernail. Seems to work great for me!

AK Jim
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 15

Thanks for the info! What grit to distress 400?

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Thanks for the info! What grit to distress 400?

All depends on how new/broke in your stones are, and how damaged your edge is. I never go below 400 to destress (that’s what I have a belt sander for if it’s really bad! lol). Normally I do it with the 1k stones.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.