Advanced Search

Entertainmet

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Entertainmet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    DeeR
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

Hope this is OK for the forum. Some of you may be interested in an educational/entertaining show I watched tonight on the history channel, called: “Forged In Fire”. Expert bladesmiths make knives and swords in competition and run them through a battery of tests. Kind of interesting and entertaining, I read almost everything on the forum and just want to thank you all for sharing your expertise.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Yup, this has been brought up once before. I found it interesting, but was disappointed in the quality of the work, driven by the very short time limits they have. This must be the formula for all the reality shows. Apparently the target audience doesn’t care about ugly. I would really like to see what they could do with 24 hours instead of 3 or 4.

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Yup, this has been brought up once before. I found it interesting, but was disappointed in the quality of the work, driven by the very short time limits they have. This must be the formula for all the reality shows. Apparently the target audience doesn’t care about ugly. I would really like to see what they could do with 24 hours instead of 3 or 4.

I’m finding I really look forward to each new episode….. but…. there are arbitrary factors imposed upon the bladesmiths that frustrate me.

I’d like to see the very first round be the 5-day challenge to make something in their “signature style”, then we could see the very best that each smith could do. Then, the later rounds could introduce the time factor.

I recorded last nights show…. “The Elizabethan Rapier”……

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’ve been really enjoying the show too.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I managed to download the series and saw the first episode last night. OK, the format is that of a cooking contest and some of the assignments are such that you the makers are not challenged to make their highest quality knives (make a knife in 3 hours, including heat treatment and forging). That said, I really enjoyed the show. Looking forward to the episode with Murray Carter.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Rob
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 14

Mark
    Do you know when Murry Carter is scheduled.

Mark76
    Participant

RMorris, I just found on Murray’s Facebook page that it was scheduled for 10th August: https://www.facebook.com/CarterCutlery . I don’t know what it’s like in the US, but where I live they continually repeat these programs in the weeks after.

I also found an interesting article by Mareko Maumasi, who was a competitor in one of the programs. According to him the depiction of himself was quite faithful, but the way in which the makers were judged sucked. I’d already noticed that B) : http://www.kitchenknifefora.com/threads/mareko-maumasi-on-forged-in-fire-aug-3rd-10pm-on-history.2563/ . (It’s on another forum, I don’t know whether you need an account there.)

wickededge
    Keymaster

He was on last night. It was a good show.

-Clay

Rob
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 14

Wow, lucky for me, I’ve been recording them. Thanks so much for the response. I’ll watch it this week.

Mark76
    Participant

Here’s Murray reflecting on the show and explaining his choices. (I still haven’t seen this episode, so can’t comment on it. It’s clear, however, he didn’t win 😉 .)

wickededge
    Keymaster

Murray has done a nice job here summing things up and he’s shown some nice humility and honest appraisal of his own performance (inasmuch as we can judge from the portions they chose to air on the show.)

-Clay

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Like everyone else Im loving the show. Just in the first 7 or 8 episodes it seems like the quality of work being turned it has improved. Its neat to see the different blade-smiths with different backgrounds come together.

As far as areas Id like to see tweaked…they could show the finished works for just a few seconds more then just a quick rotating scan n pan…. and so far I haven’t really caught them talking about the actual edge sharpening or show the process much for that matter. I do see them using a hard buffing wheel with rubbing compound and know that can indeed work similar to stropping and I saw Carter using the stones in his style.

The “testing” is another area that doesn’t seem very scientific at times and again when it fails to cut or deforms the edge they have never mentioned choice in edge geometry or if so Ive missed it.

Overall its still the best show ever…even my wife likes it and for the first time heard a comment of appreciation regarding how beautiful the shapes were. Maybe theres hope for her(me) yet! 😛

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I guess I’m a little skewed because I never think of knives as weapons. And it seems that the judges only see them as weapons. I cringe every time that guy smiles and says “It will kill!” Of the three episodes I watched, only the bending test of the rapiers seemed vaguely scientific.

I couldn’t believe how several contestants failed to follow the simple constraints of 9 to 13 inches. What could possibly have happened off-screen to cause such a lapse in judgement? How did they get so confused?

I missed the Murray Carter episode this week and searched for the secondary airings. Now that I’ve watched Murray’s video, I guess I don’t need to anymore. Disappointed to see that there weren’t any secondary airings, and no following episodes either. At least on DirecTV. Forged in Fire is kaput?

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I have been downloading the episodes from torrent sites.

It is quite enlightening watching how nearly every contestant fails in some way due to not listening properly (competition stress).

i think the Murray carter episode was most interesting one so far I guess the winner in that particular episode knew the Kris more having made two in the past & Murray overlooked the chopping aspect of the weapon.

I agree with tcmeyer that there is too much reference to the kill capabilities of the knives.

It appears that the stress of competition & time influences force mistakes but what it does teach to the viewer is perhaps many of the negative points to look for in a knife I have certainly learned things.

It would perhaps be interesting to see another series where contestants were given more time although I think I would prefer to see a different lineup of judges perhaps an audience of knife makers to judge the creations .

Some of the test on the knives or swords were interesting & should be included perhaps in future reincarnations of the show.
    It is still difficult in that so many tastes prevail even from continents. North America seems to like combat knives whilst parts of Europe prefer gentleman’s knives.

Lets hope there are more shows on a similar line.

All in all the show is compulsive watching .

The one negative is that some of the best in a field are not necessarily good at competition and that is true of many sports or artisans.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

mark good vid by Murray I must admit that the oil quenching looked dangerous in thew studio & Murray was lead astray from his gut reasoning trying to second guess what the judges wanted which highlights the point how competition of this sort does not improve the competitors craft on the whole.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.