Advanced Search

Double Riser Block Mod

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS Double Riser Block Mod

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

In my quest to get the lowest possible angle with the WEPS I did a double block riser as follows:

Marked the spot in my base and DRILLED through. It may seem severe, but it is completely concealed and regardless of the extra spacer allows for quick and easy swap out/cleaning.

As seen from the bottom…should have done a pilot hole or taped over to prevent the blowout. 😉

Measured and determined a 3″ screw was needed, had a hard time finding one here on our tiny Island.

Please pay NO attention to the suspicous score marks behind the screw…thats for another day. :whistle:

I did math, took measurements with a knife in the LAA, did more math, took more measurements of theoretical lowest angles. Spent several hours trying to get accurate data to share….bottom line, it will get ya an extra degree or a bit more.

Finally, as we have seen from Josh and others, its a great setup to use with something like the Tormek small knife adapter to get another inch vertical and clearance from the jig frame/screws. I’ll leave it up to others to determine if its worth 10 minutes, a spacer, and a 3″ screw to get to the last possible degree, but can say that with 12″ rods I dont even notice its there and no downsides to report. B)

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Man, so many of you guys are totally insane… And I LOVE IT :cheer:

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

That’s impressive! Thanks for sharing.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

CliffCurry
    Participant

Thanks Steven & Mark. Originally posted here

Since Iwaller asked about it and now there is a dedicated section I thought it was worth it to redo and show how a bit better.

Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

That’s awesome! I’ve got an extra as well. May give it a shot. I like the extra hole in the base so you don’t have to take the whole thing apart every time you want to change it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron kimpton
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 155

meh, when you get down to 3dps i will be impressed. 😛

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

Hahaha… Yeah… Fat chance. :silly:

CliffCurry
    Participant

Oh man why’d ya have to go n do that…now the only thing I can say is Challenge ACCEPTED! 👿

Montana Edge
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 62

That’s what I was just thinking Cliff…

CliffCurry
    Participant

Sorry took so long to get back on this. I had to do the grocery shopping, cook dinner, & literally repair the roof. 😛

Just a mock-up. It would need 2 holes drilled thru the base and 1/4″ spacers placed to hold the bar in position above the base. The bar is just a left-over from a Gen1 WEPS. My first thought would be to use wingnuts to remove when not needed leaving only 2 telltale holes:

At 2.20 degrees its already lower then the primary angle of this kitchen knife. The micro-adjust screw had more to go. No reason why it couldnt go to 0 degrees…and beyond. Muahaha! 👿

Seriously thank you for the comment/challenge, it was the most relaxing enjoyable part of my day so far!!! 🙂

Aaron kimpton
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 155

Lol well let’s see the results s.. where is the 5°knife

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

This is me eating my words.

Well done, sir… Well done.

CliffCurry
    Participant

Lol well let’s see the results s.. where is the 5°knife

And here I thought Missouri was the “Show Me State” 🙂 …but I get it and thank you again for the challenge, bacause at the end of the day new things are tried and tested and everyone benefits(or not).

So again using just what I had laying around I drilled and mounted the short bar:

Then took out my crappiest kitchen test knife, it looks like I was working the 50/80 extra course stones at 14dps and just had left it there:

Blade surface was flat at approx 2.5dps. No showroom finish, I did a quick angle progression of 3,4,5, 6.5, 8, 9.5, 11, 12.5 degrees at 1000 grit. Convex bevel fully blended and would take a finish and polishing step very well. Sorry for crappy pics 🙁

So thanks again to DSGROUSE, now I have a functional Ultra Low Angle Jig AND got to work on compound bevels a bit more. B)

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

Please keep it coming, my friend… This rocks.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Cliff:

Again, my engineering kudos to you for thinking outside the box. WDITOT? Necessity is the mother of invention, so I can take comfort in that I wasn’t given the challenge, which in this case, provided the necessity.

Gettin’ more and more anxious to get my hands on the new vise, as it could seriously impact so many other new ideas, including one I’m working on.

Hey Clay! How soon? Are we still months away from the completion of the Beta pass-around?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.