Advanced Search

Dog hair whittling sharp.

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Dog hair whittling sharp.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Smokeeater has his methods. If you do this awhile you develop something that works for you. I have not seen him popping hairs with his edges though.

I do not use scrubbing strokes ever if I can remain patient . When I run out of patience when re-profiling at the lowest grits (100 in my case)I will use scrubbing strokes. From then on it is sweeping strokes heel to tip until I go to 2K stones and above.

I believe that scrubbing strokes are counterproductive if the goal is edge refinement. The method allows for faster material removal, but is really unnecessary after you have apexed the edge with a lower grit. You are also sharpening the blade in sections when you think about it. If you watch Clays videos, you will see mostly sweeping strokes. I believe that using sweeping strokes is a significant part of the design rationale for the WEPS.

When I get above 1K, I will alternate 20 to 30 strokes tip to heel with 20 strokes heel to tip. This is entirely for scratch removal form previous grits. Other than adding a directional component to slicing, I am not convinced that the direction of the sweep makes much difference to the ultimate sharpness of the blade.

Try not using the scrubbing strokes after you have pulled your burr at the lowest grit that you use. Also keep in mind that you do not need to draw a burr more than once per side.

Other than that, experiment with you stropping technique. I chose to use very light strokes and decrease my angles by about half a degree. If you get very aggressive with your stropping (like lifting the base up :)) try reducing your angle by a degree or two.

You will get there… Practice and a bit of experimentation will make it happen.

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

Thank you Phil……..what you state makes perfect sense, and I am definitely going to try experimenting with your suggestions of not scrubbing so much….THANKS ! :WOOHOO:

A couple pics of my EDC Kershaw Echelon Model 1880 Speedsafe Assisted opening that I just finished last night………..using IE to upload to see if I have any troubles like before when Curtis suggested using another browser like Firefox………..this time, I got the Insert tab and I didn’t before when using IE 9……so I guess the WE sight upgrade worked ?

Attachments:
    Kent
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 26

…. I do not use scrubbing strokes ever if I can remain patient . When I run out of patience when re-profiling at the lowest grits (100 in my case)I will use scrubbing strokes. From then on it is sweeping strokes heel to tip until I go to 2K stones and above.

I believe that scrubbing strokes are counterproductive if the goal is edge refinement. The method allows for faster material removal, but is really unnecessary after you have apexed the edge with a lower grit. You are also sharpening the blade in sections when you think about it. If you watch Clays videos, you will see mostly sweeping strokes. I believe that using sweeping strokes is a significant part of the design rationale for the WEPS……

This.

On the Bradley, once I removed all the marker I alternated strokes back and forth. Never doing the same side twice in a row. It was also very fast doing this. I confirmed the bur before I started the back and forth, full blade sweep motions, but that was the only time I did. The best mirror edge is not ontained but it is still reflective.

TrlSeeker
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 12

It’s a very nice edge on that model 1880. I partially tore a tendon in my wrist, and those pics definately make me wish it would hurry and heal so I could get back at it.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.