Advanced Search

Dog hair whittling sharp.

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Dog hair whittling sharp.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Kent
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 26

My cousin sent me his new to him Bradley Alias II. Ghe previous owner stone washed the blade and wasn’t the sharpest knife. So he sent it to me so I can sharpen it for him. I gave it to him this weekend at the family reunion. I removed the thumb stud because the stone was touching it. After I was done I went over to my golden retriever and grabbed a tuff of hair. This is the result.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Wow

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Yes, yes, yes! Cool beans!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Great idea on the golden retriever hair! I’ve got one of those with an extreme excess of hair 🙂 Great job on the knife.

-Clay

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

My roommate just moved way have a Labrador I used her hair often because there was more than enough on the floor!:woohoo:

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Great idea for those of us a little thin on top (and what I do have is cut pretty short) :silly: . But the dog and the cat leave plenty of hair everywhere!

Kent
    Participant

Thanks for all the kind words.

My hair is short and hard to grab to pull out. And I didn’t want to risk getting to close with my fingers. His hair is so fine that it really isn’t much thicker than mine. Every is surprised on how soft he is.

I did 50 strokes each side of the grits i have.. The blade is short enough I the length of it with one stroke, always in the same direction.

100, 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1600. Then the 5 and 3.5 balsa strops.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

At first I got 14/10 balsa strops and liked them so well I ordered 5/3.5 balsa strops they put a different cutting edge on then leather and roo? But my friends really like it on their steak knives and kitchen tools.

Kent
    Participant

At first I got 14/10 balsa strops and liked them so well I ordered 5/3.5 balsa strops they put a different cutting edge on then leather and roo? But my friends really like it on their steak knives and kitchen tools.[/quote]

I wouldmlikemto the roo or nano cloth form the 1.5 and .5 strops

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

At first I got 14/10 balsa strops and liked them so well I ordered 5/3.5 balsa strops they put a different cutting edge on then leather and roo? But my friends really like it on their steak knives and kitchen tools.[/quote]

I wouldmlikemto the roo or nano cloth form the 1.5 and .5 strops[/quote]
    ?????????

Kent
    Participant

I wouldmlikemto the roo or nano cloth form the 1.5 and .5 strops

[/color]
    ?????????[/quote]
    Hahahaha. I should proofread things huh.

I would like to try the kangaroo or nano colth when I get the 1.5 and 0.5 micron strops

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

this kind of edge just amazes me, really…………….I am getting some really nice, mirror polished, push cut, hair shaving edges, but have yet to get one that will do this ? What could I be missing ?

I have the Pro Pack II system, and have added the Super Fine ceramics 1200/1600, and the Balsa strops, and go up thorough all grits progressively…………maybe it has something to do with the angles as well ? I generally stay around 18 degrees for EDC knives, and around 20-22 on kitchen / chefs knives.

Maybe I am not stropping enough ? I usually strop between 30-50 strokes per side with the leather and the balsa wood.

Any comments or suggestions on how I can get hair ” popping ” edges ? :unsure:

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Okay here is my two cents. I do not know if I am right or wrong, but I was in the same boat as you and asked the same questions? First read this article it qualifies what you are trying to do. It turns out there is also some technique to popping a hair.

http://coticule.be/hanging-hair-test.html

Now what I do is I go through the progression of stones making sure I do 50 strokes per side all the way up to 1K Diamond. I then stop with 14/10 balsa (20 strokes combined) then use 5um diamond leather only (20 strokes) it will just jump of the blade! Now I have done it many times ( it becomes addictive :S ) using 100-1K 5/3.5 diamond. But there is something about the 14/10, 5um routine that just makes it JUMP off the blade. B)
    You will figure it out don’t worry amd when you do you will be searching everywhere for hair! :woohoo: Here is a clue check hair brushes for samples 😛

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

[quote quote=”DARRELLALLEN”

Okay here is my two cents. I do not know if I am right or wrong, but I was in the same boat as you and asked the same questions? First read this article it qualifies what you are trying to do. It turns out there is also some technique to popping a hair.

http://coticule.be/hanging-hair-test.html

Now what I do is I go through the progression of stones making sure I do 50 strokes per side all the way up to 1K Diamond. I then stop with 14/10 balsa (20 strokes combined) then use 5um diamond leather only (20 strokes) it will just jump of the blade! Now I have done it many times ( it becomes addictive :S ) using 100-1K 5/3.5 diamond. But there is something about the 14/10, 5um routine that just makes it JUMP off the blade. B)
    You will figure it out don’t worry amd when you do you will be searching everywhere for hair! :woohoo: Here is a clue check hair brushes for samples 😛

Thanks for the info Eamon……….so, you even do 50 strokes per side with the 100/200 paddles ? I don’t do the alternating heel to tip single strokes on the lower (100/200 & 400/600 ) paddles until I get above those (600/800 )instead, I use the up and down scrubbing motion like Smokeeater 908 on YouTube does, and then I still do the up / down scrubbing motion, but will finish with the 600/800 and above grits with the heel to tip alternating strokes up through the Micro Fine ceramic, then with the leather and balsa of course, I am only doing the alternating strokes, not scrubbing strokes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.