Advanced Search

Diamond Sprays

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Diamond Sprays

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Matthieu Methot
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 9

This was probably mentioned before but is it rubbing alcohol or denatured?

Ken Schwartz
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 90

On leather I just add a bit more of the abrasive spray when necessary. Leather on alcohol is pretty harmless, drying more rapidly than water, but it can eventually loosen the glue attaching the strop to the paddle.

On nanocloth you can refresh with a water mist, although I rarely do this. If you are being picky I’d suggest deionized water, which is less likely to produce particle agglomeration which could be misinterpreted as a more aggressive finish from the clumped or agglomerated particles (larger micron size).

Ken

Gary Proeung
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

What is an acceptable range of particle size for these products?
    It seems to me that a small percentage of oversize particles would dominate the polishing behaviour.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

It seems to me that a small percentage of oversize particles would dominate the polishing behaviour.

Those are tremendous photos, the kind I would absolutely love to take!

-Clay

Blunt Cut
    Participant
    • Replies: 35

Mesmerized by all those SEM nanographs! Thank you.

Mark Newberry
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

I’d also like to thank you for posting the link to these photos. They’re amazing, and I’ve created my new account here in order to properly express my appreciation (…and Hello! to all here). 🙂

David

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Hello and Welcome!

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Someone in another forum tracked down the source of the photos… “fuzzy chops” in a shaving forum. Here’s a link to one of the threads…
    http://www.artisanshaving.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1340

Cool stuff! :woohoo:

Welcome to the forum Todd! Thanks for the link.

Gary Proeung
    Participant
    • Replies: 2

Happy to share these images.

I have been experimenting with (straight razor) stropping and just acquired some diamond spray to try.

There are a few images of 0.5 micron and 0.25 micron monocrystalline diamond spray here:

diamond spray micrographs[/url]

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

That depends on the product.
    Ken Schwartz did a series of three articles on this subject.
    Here is a link to part 1:
    http://precisesharpening.blogspot.com/2010/12/part-1-comparison-of-three-quarter.html

part 2:
    http://precisesharpening.blogspot.com/2011/01/part-2a-comparison-of-three-quarter.html

Part 3:
    http://precisesharpening.blogspot.com/2011/01/cbn-cubic-boron-nitride-scanning.html

According to his comparisons, and SEM nanographs (I like that term…) there can be a wide range of particle sizes. Better products have tighter controls on the range of sizes.

The last SEM images you linked are great stuff, but it is not mentioned what product is being imaged.

Mark
    Participant
    • Replies: 56

Phil, If you hover over the images a title will pop up. I think these are all Hand American sprays.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Got it…
    I saw the HA in the titles… did not make the association.

Thanks!

Jeff Lantz
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

I can tell you that paper, such as plain old notebook paper, can polish metals. Working at a paper manufacturing plant I see many spots on the machines where the paper has polished the surface where it rides on the plates and some are mirror like. Granted, the machine surfaces are not hardened to a high RC but the paper is abrasive enough to cut into the metal. I have wondered about and seen where some have tried stropping with materials other than leather and pastes so the diamond sprays may be overkill. I don’t know.

Todd Simpson
    Participant
    • Replies: 47

It seems that those larger particles do leave visible scratches, but there is no effect on the edge.

Shapton 8k[/url]
    Shapton 8k followed by 10 laps on 0.25 micron diamond spray[/url]

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Is that 10 laps with .25m spray on leather?

Interesting pictures… thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.