Advanced Search

Diamond Sprays

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Diamond Sprays

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Martin L
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

I was wondering which diamond spray is best to use, and also if I can use it on my regular leather strops.
    I was searching and came across two brands of diamond spray;

1) HA Diamond spray (which everyone seems to know) or
    2) Little Stropper Diamond spray
    http://www.vintageshavingshoppe.com/servlet/the-Diamond-Honing-Sprays/Categories

I currently use my stones from 50-1600 grit and then tape 2000, 2500 grit sandpaper to the ceramics, then strop with 5um and 3.5um to get a mirror finish, however I want to take it to the next level and use diamond sprays.

I have an extra set of blank leather strops and was wondering if I’d be able to use the sprays on it effectively.
    I was looking to get the 1um and 0.5um spray but do not know the quality of the brands.

Any advice would help!!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I was wondering which diamond spray is best to use, and also if I can use it on my regular leather strops.
    I was searching and came across two brands of diamond spray;

1) HA Diamond spray (which everyone seems to know) or
    2) Little Stropper Diamond spray
    http://www.vintageshavingshoppe.com/servlet/the-Diamond-Honing-Sprays/Categories

I currently use my stones from 50-1600 grit and then tape 2000, 2500 grit sandpaper to the ceramics, then strop with 5um and 3.5um to get a mirror finish, however I want to take it to the next level and use diamond sprays.

I have an extra set of blank leather strops and was wondering if I’d be able to use the sprays on it effectively.
    I was looking to get the 1um and 0.5um spray but do not know the quality of the brands.

Any advice would help!!

The 1um and 0.5um sprays on your blank leather strops would be a great next step and I think you’ll love the results. I find that I don’t need much paste when using my strops. The sprays are a different story – I find that my results are much faster if I’m somewhat liberal in reapplying the sprays. I don’t apply the spray at every sharpening session, maybe 1:3 applications:sessions. In between applications, I keep the leather moist by spraying it with some rubbing alcohol.

-Clay

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

This raises a few questions for me:

1.) What is the difference between the 1 and 0.5 paste vs. 1 and 0.5 spray? Theoretically the particulate size is the same? But how does the medium, paste vs. liquid change the stopping characteristics?

2.) Why use alcohol (vs. water?) What does alcohol do that you like Clay? I would think it would evaporate quickly. I saw Smoke Eater on youtube uses alcohol ( a lot of it) for cleaning strops.

wickededge
    Keymaster

This raises a few questions for me:

1.) What is the difference between the 1 and 0.5 paste vs. 1 and 0.5 spray? Theoretically the particulate size is the same? But how does the medium, paste vs. liquid change the stopping characteristics?

2.) Why use alcohol (vs. water?) What does alcohol do that you like Clay? I would think it would evaporate quickly. I saw Smoke Eater on youtube uses alcohol ( a lot of it) for cleaning strops.

1.) I’m still studying this and will be able to get further when the next shipment of paste comes in on the 13th. I have some paste coming that has no abrasive and I want to examine a theory that I have that relates to how the paste itself, without the abrasive, creates an interaction between the leather and the metal. My theory, born out by anecdote, is that the paste helps the leather form a vacuum on the surface of the metal and causes the leather to smear the metal, burnishing it. So far, I haven’t been able to test it thoroughly since all the paste I have has abrasive mixed in. My plan to test it is to start with identical samples of metal, with the same grit scratch pattern, and strop each sample with strops prepared with blank paste or 1um diamond spray, or 1um diamond paste.

2.) A little bit of alcohol reconstitutes the paste enough to generate more ‘sticion’ without making them wet enough that the paste rubs off on the blade.

-Clay

Martin L
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 7

I just placed the order for some HA Diamond paste. Thanks a lot for the advice. I actually did some research and they said the same thing about using alcohol.
    It will actually create a more “sticion” feeling with the paste or spray, but there is no need to go crazy with it like smoke eater did in his videos.
    He used them to clean it, which is why he used so much alcohol (I would do the same) but just a bit of alcohol actually helps with the polishing.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

The reason I use the HA sprays (as well as Ken Schwartz sprays) is that I know they are high quality.

Other brands may be high quality, too. But there is a lot a variation regarding diamond concentration and particle size among various brands. If you want to know more about that: http://precisesharpening.blogspot.nl/2010/12/part-1-comparison-of-three-quarter.html

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Geocyclist
    Participant

What do you use sprays on leather, nano cloth? Can you tell the difference?

Do you go through a full progression of sprays or skips some grits?

Mark76
    Participant

I use my really fine sprays (<= .5 mu) only on nanocloth or roo leather. I cannot tell the difference between these two strops, but I'm always a bit wary not to round the edge when it is so thin. On the other hand, roo leather may burnish the edge a little. Clay has made some fantastic photographs of edges after stropping with 0.25 mu (or so) diamond spray on roo leather.

I have done some stropping progressions as well (1 mu, 0.5, 0.25, 0.125). But to be honest, that was just for fun and because I wanted to try out how it worked. I think it is only really worthwhile for your straight razors (or if you want to shave with your cleaver 🙂 ).

Nowadays I usually just finish with 1 strop.

Strops are great for touching up as well, by the way. I do some kitchen knives every week with 1 mu spray on balsa and they don't see a stone for a long time…

Xbander
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 68

2.) A little bit of alcohol reconstitutes the paste enough to generate more ‘sticion’ without making them wet enough that the paste rubs off on the blade.

I have been using the .125 Cubic Boron Nitride Spray on the roo. Do you think it would be OK to use a little bit of alcohol with that combination? Advice appreciated!

wickededge
    Keymaster

I have been using the .125 Cubic Boron Nitride Spray on the roo. Do you think it would be OK to use a little bit of alcohol with that combination? Advice appreciated![/quote]

I think you’ll be just fine using a little bit of alcohol, just barely enough to dampen the surface but not soak through.

-Clay

Xbander
    Participant

Clay,

Since were are on the subject of ” Wet ” Quick question – I lite spray of alcohol on strops is ok. I know you advise a drop of soap in water for Ceramic, I have tried this and it does help. My Question is Chosera, Is water and only water for several minutes the right way to use them? Working them into the wet film. Or is there other options, Just got the Chosera so I know I not getting even close to what they can do.

Thanks

wickededge
    Keymaster

Clay,

Since were are on the subject of ” Wet ” Quick question – I lite spray of alcohol on strops is ok. I know you advise a drop of soap in water for Ceramic, I have tried this and it does help. My Question is Chosera, Is water and only water for several minutes the right way to use them? Working them into the wet film. Or is there other options, Just got the Chosera so I know I not getting even close to what they can do.

Thanks

James,

I let my Choseras soak for a couple of minutes, usually just long enough to set up my knife, then I rub them , like stones together, to generate some slurry. From there, I just moisten them periodically with spritz from a spray bottle I keep handy while I’m sharpening.

-Clay

Geocyclist
    Participant

How does everyone soak the “2nd” Chosera? I.e. you use the 400, the 800 can be soaking. When you finish with the 400 then flip over the 600 it is dry, do you skip the 600 or just take a break to soak it, or is there some other way?

Xbander
    Participant

Soaking good question- If I plan to use them I start soaking them right off so I can flip them a few time while I using the diamond or ceramic. If I option to take a break, I always cover the blade with a cloth, I tend to be stupid and risk cutting myself if not careful. I hope some other will answer what they do to soak them, would like to know other options.

Also I tried the alcohol trick on the strops last night, just a little and it helped a lot.

Mark76
    Participant

Soaking good question- […]

Also I tried the alcohol trick on the strops last night, just a little and it helped a lot.

I also try the alcohol trick once in a while. Works really well, makes me very cheerful B)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.