Advanced Search

Diamond Film

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Diamond Film

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andybrock
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 8

Hi Guys,

Ive got ceramic stones down to 0.6um what film grit should I go in at after the ceramics? They are expensive over here so I don’t want to buy them unnecessarily!

Thanks

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Unless you’re focused on mirror-polished bevels, I don’t think you really need to go further than that.   Those of us who are obsessed with the process seem to drift eventually to film-only, replacing the ceramic grits with film.  The ceramics work very well, but the film produces more uniform results – at a substantial cost.  In most instances, I will progress from 400 to 1000, then go to 6 micron and 3 micron films.  It takes a very discerning eye to see the difference between a 3 micron polish and a 0.5 micron polish.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Gents, sorry for posting in a slightly unrelated subject in this topic, but again I cannot post new topics on this forum. The “captcha” option is missing when I try to post.

Until recently the only way in removing metal from an edge above, say 1600 grit, was to use a strop with a compound (or to use whet stones).

However, the diamond films have changed all that. Not only that: they are very efficient and consistent in removing material. So, to be honest, recently I have only used diamond films up to .5 mu (and sometimes .1 mu) for this purpose. I haven’t used strops for this purpose anymore. I do use strops <= .5 mu , but I don’t go this fine very often.

My question is: am I missing out something now? For example, the “old” WE pastes has a burnishing power that helped very well in creating mirror edges. Do the new pastes have the same property? Moreover, many of the mirror edges I see published here and elsewhere (for example, Clays’s recent post) still use strops and no diamond films. Am I missing something – are strops effective in ways diamond films are not? – or is this just tradition?

And oops, the diamond films seem to have disappeared from the site. An error or are they not available anymore?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Andybrock
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 8

I cant help you with your technical questions simply because Ive never used diamond film but they are still available on the site.

https://www.wickededgeusa.com/product-category/lapping-films/

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Great question Mark!  I’d be interested to know if stropping with a paste will produce a finer edge than diamond film on a hard platen.  I don’t know if there was an “old” WE paste before it became diamond paste.  So far as I know, it’s always been diamond paste.

I checked with my browser (Chrome) and I find that there is a second pull-down menu “Lapping films” under the “Accessories” menu.

I also see that there is no Captcha entry required – maybe after you’ve logged on?  Or after you’ve cleared it once?

Mark76
    Participant

I cant help you with your technical questions simply because Ive never used diamond film but they are still available on the site. https://www.wickededgeusa.com/product-category/lapping-films/

Thanks, I was mistaken…

Mark76
    Participant

Test

Mark76
    Participant

You’re right, Tom, it seems the captcha is gone (I did  get an error this morning when I didn’t enter a captcha, but now I don’t.) Hopefully it’s for good, but it stays when somebody applies for the forum – which was the original intention, to reduce the amount of spammers. Hurray! I don’t know who to thank, but I suspect Clay and Chris. Thanks guys!

Mark76
    Participant

I haven’t found a method yet to properly compare stropping to metal removal with diamond films. I did however do an experiment in which I completely reprofiled an edge, then used all other diamond stones and all appropriate diamond films. I.e. 100 grit stones, 200 grit, 400 grit, 800 grit, 1000 grit, 1500 grit, 6 mu diamond film, 3 mu diamond film, 1.5 mu diamond film, 1 mu diamond film, 0.5 mu and 0.1 mu diamond film, but no strops.

The result looks quite like a mirror edge:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.