Advanced Search

Damaged knife tip

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Damaged knife tip

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’ll click on my “Go to Checkout” at Jantz and see what happens. Bullocks.

Edit: I see that the Rosewood Dymondwood is used by Buck for their “Prince / Squire” series of knives. I have one and the color is a little darker, more purple than the Rosewood Micarta I’ve used. In any case, I ordered two sticks from Jantz.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

It looks like there’s a bunch of companies which use the Dymondwood and Micarta products extensively. For one, Altamont makes components for Bear Archery, Buck Knives, Weatherby, Taurus, Kimber, Beretta, as well as Smith & Wesson and Colt. There must be other suppliers for this type of product, as I see it in laminated gunstocks for lots of different mfgr’s. Hope it doesn’t die completely.

Of course, laminated gunstocks use relatively thick slabs of wood, compared to Dymondwood, which uses very thin slices to ensure total penetration of the resins. The web site says about 29 plies per inch. I see that they used birch. I wonder if that was the difference between them and Micarta?

The supplier for Dymondwood was, as Mr Wiz says, Rutland Plywood of Rutland township in Vermont. 80,000 sq ft with lots of wood and chemicals, which burned down in Aug 2014. I see on Amazon that there’s a “Rutland Fire Starter” – the very flammable pieces of wood you toss in the fireplace to get it going. I wonder if that was by them too? If so, whooey! Insurance must have been pricey. Or they didn’t have it, which would explain why they might not rebuild. This happened to Pyrodex too, if I recall, when their factory blew, killing the owner and inventor. The rights were eventually bought up and Pyrodex once again came on the market.

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.