Advanced Search

Coming off diamond 1k: Go to Shapton 2k or 3k?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Coming off diamond 1k: Go to Shapton 2k or 3k?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    williaty
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 11

Right now, I have the 50 through 1k diamond paddles and the 1200/1600 ceramic paddles. The ceramic paddles have been a major disappointment from day 1, have already been replaced once, and now are coming loose a second time, so I’m done with them. For sharpening my woodworking tools, I recently started buying the full-sized Shapton Pros/Kuromaku and have been quite favorably impressed. I’d like to try some of the Shapton stones for the WEPS from Jende but the high price means I really need to pick the right setup on the first try. If I’m coming off the WEPS 1000 Diamond (supposedly 7.0u), the next step “up” would be the 5k Shaptons (at 2.9u). This step change in micron rating is a little large but a lot of people do make jumps that big. However, I’ve seen a number of places say that, due to the change in character of the scratches between different abrasives, making a lateral move is often better. Going instead to the Shapton 2k (at 7.4u) would be a tiny step back, which might make sense according to some.

So, if I’m coming off the 1k diamonds, is it best to order a 2k/5k pair or a 5k/8k pair of Shaptons to replace my 1.2k/1.6 ceramic paddles? The 2k/5k seems like a little waste of money because it duplicates what the 1k diamonds can do (scratch size wise) but at the same time I don’t want to get the 5k/8k pair and find out it takes hours of work to make the jump from the 1k diamonds to the 5k Shapton.

What do you guys think?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

You’ll probably get different answers here. I’d definitely use the 1200/1600 after the diamonds to wipe out the scratches made by the 100 grit diamonds. If you have issues with them, call Wicked Edge. Their customer service is great. Or get the micro fine stones.

I have a full set of Shapton pro’s and I find the 5K/8K (and then 15K…) work fine after the ceramic stones.

Other people have attititude of “better be safe than sorry” or “use the same waterstones to wipe out the diamond/ceramic scratches” as the type you’re going to use for polishing and would recommend the 2K/5K. Only if you’re not getting one of the ceramic stones I’d recommend you get the 2K Shapton. But even then you could do without it, just spend a little longer wiping out the scratches of the diamond stones.

But certainly if you’re on a budget, I’d recommend the 5K/8K.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.